What kind of power needed for Martin Logans?

This question has been asked in one form or another, but this time I need some specific advice. I listened to a Martin Logan home theater set-up the other day and I'm in love. I am willing to add or change anything to get these speakers into my system. Electronics right now are a B&K Ref-30 pre-pro, Sony 9000ES DVD, and 5ch Acurus 125x5. The Acurus is gone, I know that, but now I have to replace it with something. I have a Bryston 4B-ST that I use for my 2ch system. I can move that over to the home theater and add to it. My home theater room is small, so I will not be buying the gargantuan Martin Logans. A nice set of the smaller ones ($1000-5000 range) will do nicely. So let me have it. Do I go five channel amp? mix and match 2 and 3 channels? monoblocks? Brands? I'd like to keep the amp purchase down to a reasonable number ($2000-$5000). Any advice would be appreaciated, especially from people who are running Martin Logans now. Thanks.
argent

Showing 1 response by 7671

Minimum of 150 watts into 8 ohms. Since these speakers are 4 ohm's the power rating will be almost doubled. I use a 200 watt into my ML SL3's. This gives me almost 400 watts into 4 ohm. I get plenty of power at no where near the half way mark on my pre-amp!! Steve