What is your record cleaning regimen?

I am just getting into vinyl, and inheriting records, buying some used and most recently a few new. 

I have only a few hundred records so far, but I have invested in cleaning supplies.

Specifically, I have various pre-set solutions (groovewasher, Tergikleen, distilled water, simple green), a goat hair brush, micro fiber cloths, a baby scalp scrubber and a DeGritter machine (extravagant at this stage, but a huge time saver).

Here is my regime at this point. For any new record, whether inherited or bought, used or new, I wipe it with a dry cloth or the goat hair brush to remove any initial dust. Then I cover the label and spray some solution on it and use the baby scrubber to distribute the liquid around to cover the surface. Then I use a padded microfiber to wipe it off. Then I Degrit.

Btw, I tried WD-40 once, which does work to remove crackles, but subsequent cleanings cause those crackles to come right back, which to me indicates that WD-40 is leaving a residue on the record which I suspect is not helpful in the long run.

Likewise, the goat hair brush is so far disappointing as it seems to shed hair on the record which somewhat defeats its purpose.

Interested in other people's processes and I have a question. I have some older records that have persistent crackles. Will cleaning ultimately make those go away or do I just need to get over it?

I have ordered a record label protector that will allow me to wash in the sink with soap and water in the hopes of getting the ultimate clean.

Any thoughts from the analog folks here would be great.

saulh

I tried a good number of record cleaners, including the Nitty Gritty and the Hanss record cleaners. I've used the Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions, the Phoenix record cleaner. I also used the Mint LP solution produced by the same guy who does the cartridge protractors. Each of these approaches have had benefits. Then, I bought the Ultrasonic V-8 cleaner from the now deceased David Ratliff. That one upped the game considerably, but I still had problems with some records from time to time. I was happy though to be able to clean up to 8 records at one time. Then, on a lark, I tried the Gem Dandy Record Cleaner produced by George Merrill. I decided to combine that approach with the V-8 bath. The Gem Dandy uses a proprietary cleaning solution along with record holder made from PVC and you just use high pressure tap water on the record. After I do the Gem Dandy regimen, I put the records on a wooden dish drying rack and when I've collected 6-7, I put them in the ultrasonic bath for 10-15 minutes to rinse. I've found this regimen of using the Gem Dandy and the ultrasonic to be eye-opening. My records now sound unbelievably good. For those records that still have some defects in the form of clicks and pops, I do a round with the Groove Lube by Gem Dandy, which comes with the record cleaner. That helps tremendously and also makes the record basically static free. It does leave a bit of residue on the cartridge after playing though that has to be cleaned off with my little cube of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The Gem Dandy job is more labor-intensive and messy, Be prepared to get very wet. However, the results are well worth it. Believe me, if they weren't, I wouldn't be doing it. I prefer to stay dry when cleaning records.

I just purchased a Degritter a few weeks ago and it cleans very well one problem periodically when I put a record in the slot nothing happens I have to reset the record in the slot sometimes more than once before it will start up. The issue for me is when a record is not loaded properly, no indication on the display to indicate that you have a problem.

I have reached out to the company to ask how often this should be happening and they are very vague. Has anyone had this issue other than me.

@sokogear

I really agree with your thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately, I have found that while half the new pressings I get are clean and quiet. The other half are not. I am told this is record release compound… I don’t know… I like being lazy. But I have learned over the years that the results are much better when I clean and treat new albums with Last Preservative. The cleaning being at least as important if not more important than the Last Preservative.

Records are not made or packaged in a clean room environment. I buy mostly older records, sometimes dead inventory, sometimes "used" and of course have bought new records over the years. QC is surprisingly off even for the audiophile stuff.

Every record that gets played here gets cleaned unless it comes from someone I know who cleaned it. Cleaning methods vary depending on the degree of apparent contamination (which gets reassessed if it doesn’t play well). I’ve salvaged many records through cleaning and I’m not dumpster diving-- it’s just that some older jazz and rock records weren’t owned by audiophiles.

There are accepted good practices and methods. Beyond that, everyone has their preferred approach based on the amount of time, energy and budget they want to devote to this. There is no "one way" that fits everyone’s needs.

And of course, if the record has been damaged, cleaning won’t do much to change that. But some records I had written off as irretrievable due to groove chew were simply contaminated, and needed an effective cleaning- which is manual, combined with ultrasonic, pure water rinse step plus point nozzle vacuum. Your sequence of steps, preferred fluids, applicators and machines may be different, but much comes down to method.