What is the "best" cartridge a Technics 1210...

can handle when equipped with the more popular KAB mods(damper, rewire, power supply)? I am not an audiophile, and have really enjoyed the modestly priced Denon 110 on my player, but would still be interested to know what the possibilities are-Cheers
jmoog08
@lordvampire Grace HS-3 is lightweight shell if you want classic japanese vintage headshell, better one is Grace HS-5 carbon headshell with treated holes for the screws in the finger lift of the shell - that’s nice option to screw the cart from the bottom, not from the top of the shell (no nuts needed in this case). You can also look for the Orsonic AV1 shell (it looks like a catamaran boat :)

For the ultimate, but very expensive, look for the new ZYX LIVE-18B from Nakatsuka-San, i use this one with my Glanz MF61 cartridge. 
Btw my upgrade plan - I changed the mat, the cartridge, I have the discovery wiring, need to set it. I ordered oyaide silver headshell wiring.
The only thing left is the headshell and the isonoe feet. :)

And I think I'm ready :)
@chakster I replaced the wiring, and I must say the sounds is really impressive. I have a question though, now I'm in doubt. Do you unsplit the cables when you put them in the tonearm. Because I put them as they came (i.e. splitted, like in the picture).
No i don't use twisted pairs in my Lustre GST-801 tonearm for maximum flexibility. I use 4 single run of discovery tonearm wire. You can do the same for your Technics, but twisted wires also works ok, discovery wire is flexible, but not the most flexible.  
I hope it will loosen.. with time. I'm not sure if there is tension now, but the Audio Hi Fi News testing record tracks fine, the first 3 tracks.
Only the torture track is not tracked well.. So I guess I'm fine.
And one more question.. With Denon DL301 MK2 I have highs, but.. they are kinda not so in your face. All my other needles, mostly AT, gave me very strong high frequencies.. With Denon.. they are kinda off, although I put 1KOhm on the preamp. Wondering.. maybe it still breaks in, it's not more than 10 hours running time, so I guess I'll have to wait.

But.. I'm not saying they are missing, they are just not so everywhere in the air, but kinda backward on the stage.
Does anyone else experience this while running in this cartridge?
Actually, after many listening tests, I discovered that the Achromat Mat is reducing the treble... very strange.
I made both recording with stock mat, and with the achromat mat, and seems like the problem is coming from the mat.
I gave the rips to several friends, they all like better the stock mat recording.
Is this normal?
:) 
Well, actually after I replaced the headshell with Audio Technica MG-10 and Oyade Heashell leads, the sound is really amazing.
Now one thing bothers me.. it's the stock PSU. Isn't it enough just to move the transformer outside?
I'm fine with stock PSU and stock matt on those decks, i just stopped all the mods of 1210mk2 after full rewire, isonoe feets, fluid damper and various top of the line vintage MM cartridges like Technics EPC-205c mk4, 100c mk3, Glanz MF61, Grace F-9F, Grado etc.

If you want to mod PSU then your next step would be a tonearm.

.. and then a new turntable because of the plinth :)   
@chakster Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock PSU or the stock tonearm.

The problem is MC cartridges are too sensitive, and when it goes to the inner part of the vinyl, it gets some of the electromagnetic field. So I wonder, why not just to move it outside, or try to put something that reduces the field, between the transformer and the cartridge?
Never had any problems with MC on SL1210mk2, my last MC cartridge tested on that deck was Audio-Technica ART2000, i think i even tried Zyx Airy, but at that time i had much better turntable and tonearm. Anyway i have never experienced any noise in whatever part of the record on SL1210mk2 
lordvampire
The problem is MC cartridges are too sensitive ...
Hmmmm, MM carts typically have much greater sensitivity that most MCs, so I'm not sure what caused your problem here.

I'm not saying I don't hear the transformator with MM carts either :)
It's easy, Put the needle on the record, in the last grooves. And don't play it just switch the power know ON/OFF. When it's on, you will hear it, on maximum volume of the speakers.

@chakster do the isonoe feets make any difference? I have serious doubts about these.