What is the most important component in your system.

To me it is my ARC Ref 6 preamp. I have used a few other preamps, ML38s , ARC Ref 5se,  with my current system and none has taking me closer to music then my ARC Ref 6 preamp. Years ago I always thought it was my B&W 800 Matrix speakers and then my Krell FBB amp. But found out that to get the best sound from my 800s it is a preamp..Years ago i never knew how important a good preamp was in reproducing music. And sure everything adds up ,like interconnects , power cables , speaker cables, platforms and all those tweaks that we use and try. Now i not saying that i was never happy with my 800s and Krell or even my ML 38s. But adding my current preamp really makes my other components bring out their best. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Usually different opinions on questions like this. I've always said the source component and I could bring over my 8 track player with some tapes to show you how bad your system could sound.

Post removed 
@elizabeth .... Nice response.....And i agree whole heart.... Also its very interesting to see what everyone else thinks and says.
I just rediscovered the joy of a well recorded SACD. That, leads me to believes that once the whole system is dialed in, that "single" component belief is made irrelevant. 

It's now down to the source. There are still gems hidden in those pits and grooves, if recorded correctly.

All the best,
Nonoise