What is the current retail cost of your reference system?

It would be interesting to share this as I am not sure some of us understand how decisions are made within the framework of cost and resolution. Please avoid used prices as that muddys the water significantly. Also cabling costs would be revealing as well if willing to share. 

jpwarren58

I can't believe how many supposed grown men are whining about what other adults spent on their gear. "Insensitive"??? Why does that even appear here? My main rig has under $10k invested and if someone spent a million plus, good for them. It doesn't bother me in the least. Why should it? If you're unhappy with your lot in life, do something about your life. Tearing down someone else' life won't fix it. 

Besides the below listed I have spare amps and speakers that are waiting for attention of one sort or another totaling approx. $2000-$2500. These are retail prices when new, not what I paid for most of it. For example, I got the Marantz PM-KI Pearl for half price, used, and a $600 pair of Kimber 8TC speaker cables for $100, also used. DIY speaker prices are parts cost, not including paint, time, etc..

In the end, prices are irrelevant. I thoroughly enjoy listening to music and my gear makes it happen. I get to share that love of music with my child, as well as our shared appreciation for the equipment. We also spent time together building speakers and a father/daughter relationship. It's not about what brings us the music, it's about what the music brings us.

Integrated amp-$3699

Speakers-$1600

CD/SACD-$1150

DAC-$100

Cables-$650

Second rig (bedroom) 

Integrated amp-$250

Cables-$80

My daughter's stereo

Integrated amp-$500

CD-$400

Cables-$660 retail ($160 used)