What is the best way to replace a blown sub amp?

Well, a little emergency at my Bakery/Cafe. A huge power surge took out a prep table, beverage cooler, my main oven, ten or so fluorescent ballasts, the phone system, cash register, exhaust fan...and my Creek 5330! Also it blasted two subwoofer amps. One of them is a cheapo one in the production area...not too worried about it. The other, in the main dining area is a nice Acoustic Energy Aelite Sub. Paired with Aelite 2's, an NAD 355 amp, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, and Apple MacBook running Pure Music and lossless files, the customers are usually treated to great music, even at a fairly low level. The speaker seems fine. Do I buy one of those plate-amps from parts express? Do I get another amp and crossover? Thanks....Oran...your Village Baker...(www.villagebaker.us)
128x128oranfoster

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

I would see if you can get a direct factory replacement from the manufacturer. Many companies will sell you a replacement part. You may be able to install yourself, depending on the actual dammage.

If there has been a lot fried and melted inside the sub, that may mean repair is unlikely. Look inside the sub first before you commit to buying any replacement parts.

You may also want to check the resistance of the driver. You can do this with a simple DVM. If the driver is toast as well, the sub may not be worth fixing.