What is the best way to clean Vinyl?

TIA

128x128jjbeason14

You can't actually go wrong with a SpinClean. You certainly can with an ultrasonic machine. The cheapest one that we know to be safe and effective on LPs is the Humminguru. If you want to repurpose one of those devices used in the (admittedly fascinating) YouTube videos about cleaning carburetors, you would be out on your own.

This is what I've settled on after many years and many ways:

1. wipe the outside of the record jacket with a clean microfibre cloth

2. take the record out and discard the inner sleeve

3. with a clean microfibre cloth gently dry wipe both sides of the record

4. Wash Cycle: place the record in a 5 minute cycle US bath at 35 degrees C (distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and Triton X100 surfactant)

5. Rinse Cycle: then place it in another 5 minute cycle US bath at 35 degrees C (same solution as Step 4 without but WITHOUT the alcohol)

6. Vacuum Cycle: then use a record vacuum cleaner to clean each sides.  I apply distilled water/Triton X100 (same as Step 5 solution) and spread that with a brush, then vacuum it off.  Both sides.

7. then I let it air dry for at least 20 minutes before placing it in a new rice paper antistatic inner sleeve

8. then back into the jacket and a new outer sleeve.

The cost is reasonable since i make my own solutions, and I bought my two US machines off eBay.  I got the motorized Project vacuum cleaner that turns by itself.

I change the solutions when they become too dirty (I check it visually and also use a turbidimeter).

Oh and I clean the stylus with Magic Eraser before every side.  And if i see lint on a record, I use Tiger Cloth since it's the least staticy fabric I've come across.

I no longer use record brushes, nor do I use liquid cleaners or gels for the stylus anymore.

Everyone's method and tools differ.  I may change this method too if I come across a good alternative, or if new equipment dictates a change (e.g. I probably won't use Magic Eraser on the new optical cartridge (DS Audio).

I hate to perpetuate this stream of consciousness, but gzm mentions doing his last wash with triton X100 in water and then air drying.  I've used and still use water plus isopropyl plus Triton X100 for the past 25-30 years, in my VPI HW17.  It became obvious to me that if you do not do a last rinse in pure distilled water with no additive, the Triton leaves an audible residue on the LP.  Not all info is "good info".  Some is just info.