What is the Best Tool to Measure Cartridge Azimuth?

What do you use to measure / set azimuth of your cartridges and / or styli? I am afflicted with diminished eyesight, so aligning the azimuth of the stylus by eye is not practical.

To that end, I’ve use a simple bubble level (spirit level) about 1-1/2” in diameter to get the headshell as close to level as possible, after first leveling the platter by adjusting the turntable feet. 

I figure some clever lever engineer has made an easy to use electronic tool for this purpose, but I haven’t found anything in my searches. Nature abhors a vacuum, so one day if not already, it might surface. 

Until then, does anyone have alternate methods? How about using a test record? Is that feasible? I do have a couple of good oscilloscopes by the way, so I can make precise measurements of levels, phasing, frequency, etc.... 
128x128sleepwalker65

Showing 1 response by rdk777

I use the SmarTractor to first install the cartridge and then the Foz to determine how well my cartridge is centered.  The SmarTractor is one of the most accurate protractors available - Analog Magik even suggests using it for a good initial setting before starting the tests in its module. I have used both AM and Feickert's Adust + for azimuth, but now only use the SmarTractor and Fozgometer. My results for multiple cartridges over the years concluded that this method combined with my ears was adequate to set azimuth. With the 10 plus cartridges, I never had an issue  with crosstalk or at least where my ears could tell. As a result, I sold my Adjust +, but will occasionally check azimuth with AM just for sanity.