What is the best $1000 CD Player?

My Arcam Alpha 9 has died for the second time. I am reluctant to spend $ on another repair. My lond term goal is the Cary 303, but I nedd to spin discs now. What is the best CD player in the $1000 range. Somehow the Rega Apollo keeps rearing it's head. Help me make my decision.
uncontop
Post removed 

Just to complicate things a bit more, a good, flexible option for that much money might to combine a high-quality used DAC like the Ben Canto or Benchmark with a decent transport, perhaps a used Denon DVD player or Rotel CD player.

You'd get remarkable sound, an easy upgrade path and the possibility of experimenting with hard-drive based audio if that appeals to you.
I'm making an assumption that you appreciate the HDCD function of the Arcam. Look at a used Cary 300-200 or Resolution Audio CD-55.
ARCAM FMJ 23T if you have any HDCD discs. It is the primo HDCD player. If not, the AA Prima wins at that price.
Who sells the Altmann DACs, does anyone know? It's a German company; I assume someone is distributing in the US.
Altmann is sold direct to my knowledge. If you follow the link in Herman's post you'll get all the information you need.
Post removed 
Post removed 
Here be my vote.

Used, very cheap, old Rega Planet
Bel Canto DC-1 w/ Pioneer DV414, get to do dvd's too:)

New, Rega Apollo

Cheers!
Chris
I second the MHDT Paradisea Dac. Buy one of those Oppo's for a transport. Down the road throw a upsampler(Monarchy/Gw Labs) in between the two..and really get your mind blowed!
Second the Arcam either cd 92 T or the 23 T,that said Im going to try a Rega to see how it compares to the Arcam ,not going to do it to soon yet but some time in the coming months,if it can beat the Arcam I will be surprised.
I agree with Coffeey. The Arcam cd92 is a killer cd player on the used market. Combine the CD92 along with the 'de mat' rubber cd mat, and the cd playback approaches that of my newly acquired Ayre C-5xe! I've also read good things about the Rega Apollo but have not had a chance to audition it.
calgarian