What is the benefit of balanced xlr cables

I just bought a marantz av7005 that has balanced outputs for xlr cables and I have a b&k st 125.7 s2 to hook it to also have a older Cambridge audio cd6 that has balanced connections on it.what are my befits to switching to these cables over my rca stuff.What is a good brand without breaking the bank,I've used blue jean cable,kimber kable,and synergestic THX
128x128thirsty93

Showing 7 responses by zd542

I'm pretty sure the components you list are not balanced. If that's the case, you probably wouldn't hear any difference.
"11-23-14: Infection
@zd542 - they have XLR connections. "

Components and cables can have xlr connections, but that doesn't mean they're balanced.
"Perhaps Audioquest RCA ICs could be better, especially for the prices being suggested... whatever those prices may be..."

That's a little vague. How would you suggest they improve? And adjust their prices?

One thing that Bo didn't mention about AQ RCA IC's is that they are still balanced cables internally. All of AQ's IC's have 3 separate solid core conductors (unless they made recent changes that I'm not aware of). Most likely, that's why the price is the same for RCA and XLR. Also, AQ is very good about re-terminating. At any time, you can send them your RCA terminated IC's and they will change them to XLR's for you. It's been a while since I did this, but the price was not too bad. Now, if we could only get them to fix their power cords.
"11-26-14: Bo1972
Next year they will come with all new powercords. I told them that they are not good enough. When you compare them with others they are still fine."

Good job. I look forward to your review.
"11-27-14: Bo1972
When you are aware of the properties of each single part in your system you understand better what you will get. Ayre has his own sound. This openness in the mid en high freq. is a lot different than others. I think the silver can cause a harsness in mid and high freq. The thing what it makes unique in my set is that is gives a stunning level ( new level) of differences in height. Beside this I never auditioned any expensive highend cable with this level of physical apperance."

He's right. I have an Ayre/Vandersteen system with AQ cables. I find that all silver doesn't always sound better. I use both copper and silver.
"12-04-14: Thirsty93
So if you had a 100 dollars what xlr cable would you guys buy"

I would try to find a good pair of used AQ. I can't see you going wrong. They sound good with just about anything. If not, I would try a pair of Morrow cables. Never heard them before, but so many people rave about them, I'm curious. They're not expensive so the risk is very low.