What is "low ball"

A lot of ads say something to the effect "no lowballers please". So I'm curious what people think is "lowball".

I'm looking for a percentage from people. I'm thinking less than 75% of asking price is where "low ball" kicks in, but I'm interested in what the general consensus is (if there is one).
jaxwired

Showing 1 response by tom6897

I have offered less many times on items listed with "no low ballers" or similar stated in the ad. CLOSED MANY, MANY DEALS!

I ignore such statements. It is used to make people think that the item is somehow exceptional and the seller is not willing to negotiate.

The fact that they are willing to pay to list and write the ad and maybe take pictures clearly sends a different message. "The item is no longer wanted and needs a new home." Anyone willing to go to that much effort would be a FOOL to not consider accepting money from a willing buyer.

Times are tough in a lot of places and this is a discretionary purchase. Certainly not a requirement by any measure. I guess it makes the seller feel better when they ad such verbiage to their ad. Like I said I either want the item or not and I have a price in mind. We either come to a professional, cordial and upfront deal or not. No Biggie!

New items show up every day and there are only so many of us that have the $$, the time and the inclination to buy. I agree with Rrog, the people with the money and the desire to buy are the market and set the price. Sellers can put whatever they want in their ad copy. I can choose to ignor it. Freedom of speech man!