What Is Best Monoblocks For Around $10,000 Used?

I'm searching for an amplifier upgrade in my system. My system is presently made up of a Classe CA-401 amp, Krell HTS 7.1 pre-pro, Piega P10 loudspeakers and Mark Levinson No.39 CD player. (The P10's and ML 39 will eventually be upgraded.) I listen to 2-channel redbook CD's, but the system also does Home Theater with a Krell Theater Amp Standard handling the center channel, rear channel and Zone 2.

I'm searching for a pair of mono-blocks that sells in the used market for about $10,000 (plus or minus), to replace the Classe CA-401 stereo amp. I've considered the Krell 450Mcx, but heard it sounds dark. (I don't know what dark is.) I've considered the Musical Fidelity KW amps, but they only have single ended inputs. The Pass Labs X600 may not give me the bass I'd like to have.

Can anyone make any suggestions on a good, resolving pair of mono-blocks?

Thank you.
george3

Showing 6 responses by karmapolice

As a new owner of the lamm 2.2, I can assure you that its got plenty of power to drive a big room.

Comparing the lamm to the pass is like comparing a ford mustang to a jaguar. They both have their fans and they are really different. My friend has the pass labs and if your room is well treated then its a very good amp but its not in the lamm's league ordinarily.
well lamm often showcases with the wilson speakers at show so that is another reason I got the lamm amp.....so the wilson watt puppy 7 is the best bet unless you got mad cash for the maxx 2
In the already expensive world of audiophile equipement, pass labs is a relative bargain and thus is something like a Ford Mustang (which is a bargain for a sports car). The lamm is no bargain and is a prestige name so kind of like a jaguar. I think semi must think that the ford mustang is an insulting reference and you think that then you really don't get how most people really like the mustang.
The lamm is like the jaguar as well for being refined and elegant and best with well produced music. The pass is better known for great bass for those that really want to rock. Most would not compare the mid range and vocals of the lamm with the pass (especially the newer lamms). No one would say the lamm bass is on par with the pass. Apples and Oranges. Brute force versus refinement. Its a matter of taste.

george,

I am using the wp7's and it works great for everything but poorly produced cds.

michael
Semi,

Maybe you should read George's post. He asked specifically about the pass x600. I gave him MY OPINION about the pass x600. No I have not tried their latest and greatest but then George asked about the x600 not the x600.5. The x600.5 are over 10k. So if he has has a 10k ceiling then he probably does not want the x600.5. If you think the x300.5 is better than the x600 than maybe YOU should SAY THAT.

I gave the man my opinion based upon what I know not based upon all posibilities. No one knows everything and I gave him my two cents. The fact I have not heard every pass amp does not mean I cannot give my opinion on what I have heard. Apparently, you are very sensitive about pass amps which means either you own it or you sell it.

I think every amp has pro's and cons and if you think the pass is a perfect amp that power to ya
george,

I looked into buying this amp last year but found little to no reviews and was already wary about krell so did not put in on my short list.

So not sure what you mean by highly regarded? It does not appear to be highly regarded or otherwise

Michael