What is a Choke?

I was at an audio store and saw a small box with four power outlets which was connected to the wall and then to a few components. The salesperson said it was a "choke". I can't remember the brand (not a PS Audio item, though), but, not surprisingly, the salesperson highly recommended it @ ~ $800. What was it that I saw? How does it work? Does it work?
Contact Charlie Hanson at Ayre Acoustics (www.ayre.com). He used(s) them in many of his amplifier designs.
A "choke" is another name for an inductor. An inductor can be used as a device to supply current (for a short duration) under high demand conditions, without a drop in voltage level. Think in terms of the "Richard Gray Power Company" type AC Power conditioners.

The Boston Red Sox...1986 World Series!
Read the very short fundamentals of electicity section here

A choke is just another name for and an inductor.

Here is a helpful glossary of technical amplifier terms.
Mookie would have beat the toss to first!
You got that right, Onhwy61! I would have said it's what I do every time over a 5 foot putt to win a golf match.
The Boston Red Sox...1986 World Series!

Any time the Viking's are in a Big GAME
The Atlanta Braves or the Buffalo Bills.

Flip a coin.

Florida State kickers!!!
Thanks for the on topic responses :) The others were funny, but I'm looking for a multi-outlet device that doesnt have the size/cost ratio of a PS Audio 600.
Monster HTS 1000 or 2000