What headphone and amplifier for classical enthusiast

I’m thinking of headphones as an alternative to the stereo system I love because of complaints about the “constant noise” coming from my listening room. I know nothing about high end headphones or even how I’m going to connect to a CD or streaming source. My preamp doesn’t allow for headphones so I’ll need one, preferably tubed. And the cost of the cans should be in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500.
I understand headphones have unique characteristics. I listen mainly to classical music.
128x128rvpiano

Showing 1 response by jim204

Hi RV it's Jim here, you may know that I only listen  to phones nowadays and totally love the experience. You can wake at 3am on a sleepless night and take yourself to heaven without waking anyone. The phones I have are Sennheiser HD 800 and they are supremely detailled and tonally correct (once fully run in). Headphone amps are a different matter of which I use the Luxman P 750u which is unfortunately very expensive but of all the head amps i Have listened and that is a lot it has consistently blown away all the others. The head amp is solid state but with a slight touch of warmth, all I have done is connect my PS audio DSD Dac and aural magic for hours on end. At the moment I am listening to Beatrice Rana's new Chopin recording and very fine it is (she is turning out to be very special indeed.). I hope you have luck in your quest. Jim204