What have I done to my Gyro bearing?

OK, I'm an idiot. I was carrying the inverted oil pumping bearing from my Gyrodec, and I dropped it on a hardwood floor. Needless to say, the ball flew out. After an extended period of groping on the floor, I found the ball and made sure it was clean, got everything back together on the Gyro...and now there's resistance when it turns, and the motor can barely turn the platter. The bearing assembly scrapes on the subchassis slightly and it all does not spin freely.

What could be wrong with it? Anything I can do short of replacing the bearing (at $225!)? There are no competent techs for at least a hundred miles and probably more. Before I make the drive, I'd like to ask you guys what my course of action should be here. What have I done?

Needless to say, I'm fairly pissed with myself...
dirtyragamuffin

Showing 1 response by brucedan0724

Well at least you found the ball. The problem is the bearing assembly - this is screwed in from the bottom. You will see a slot on the bottom of the shaft - tighten this up and you then have the clearance. Same thing happened to me when I 1st brought home my brand new Gyrodec. My dealer had set everything up at his shop. I am guessing the trip home and the movement allowed the shaft to back off a bit -that is all it takes.

Hope this works - good luck