What happened with the BASS? MC352/C42/B&WN803

Hi.. last saturday, I took home a Mcintosh C42 to replace the Onkyo919 (as pre-amp). I can truely feel HUGE improvement with sounds stage, highs, superb mid-range, much lower background noise, and much more musical. However, bass seems to be weaken and less dynamic. although I haven't play much with the Equalizer yet. Can someone tell me why. Thanks!

My current set up:

B&W Natilus 803
Mcintosh MC352
Mcintosh C42
REGA Planet 2000
Richard Gray 400s
MIT Shortgun IC and speaker cables.
rodney01

Showing 2 responses by rontube

You should be on the 4 ohm taps on the MC352 since the 803s are 4 ohms. You might also want take the bi wire straps off the back of the speakers and connect the mid highs to the 2 ohm taps and the woofers to the 4 ohm taps. Just use some simple cable like 12 gage for the experiment and use it on the base connection.

Ron
Rodney,

Many reviews have published the impedance curve of the N803 and they show 4 ohms or less until the high frequencies are reached. By using different taps you can change the balance by plus or minus 3 db. This is popular when your speakers are out in the room and the bass is light due to the lack of wall boundary reinforcement.
We always ran the N803s on the four ohm tap when we used them at the factory, yes on a MC352.

Ron-C