What hapened to VAC Phi 2.0 preamp

I noticed that VAC was producing that preamp before and it supposed to be it's top of the line product. I found it mentioned on the forums and the comments were good, so I looked it up on their web site and found they only have the VAC Phi 300 amp and the Phi integrated amp. There is still the Renaissance Signature Mk II preamp. Is the Ren better then? Thanks for the replies.
feniks

Showing 3 responses by fplanner2000

Glad to hear the Phi 2.0 lives on. I'd hate to think I've already got a collectors' item after 11 months! For the type of sound I was looking for, Kevin said it wasn't even close between the Ren Signature and the Phi 2.0 (which I consequently got). I don't use the phono stage, so maybe I could have saved a few bucks with the Sig, but I wanted the newest design that fit my ear. The Phi just keeps sounding better as other parts of my system finally break in.

Apparently the original Sig circuitry, etc. is very time-consuming to fabricate, which accounts for the higher price(with phono), but not necessarily better sound as compared to the Phi. I am VERY happy with the 2.0, plus, as already mentioned, it just looks GREAT!
I don't think there is very much this preamp won't fit well with, except maybe poor amplification for the load being driven. Paired with a VAC Phi 300, and the Amatis, for example, you would probably never want to leave your listening room! I was also looking at the Amatis, but decided to do some home improvements instead.