What format are most people using, and why?

Are most people just using WAV or another lossless format like FLAC?

I have personally used FLAC because of its ability to store metadata like cd and track name info, file sizes being ~25% smaller than WAV, ability to be streamed, and obviously the lossless aspect.

I am thinking about re-encoding my collection and was wondering what other people are using.

Thanks.
stealth403

Showing 1 response by mdp0430

I'm entertaining the idea of getting into PC audio as a source. Having said that I believe at this point I would go with Apple Lossless.

The reasons being (1) I plan on purchasing a 60gb iPod to listen to while running, at the library, etc. I say 60gb because I believe that it is the only iPod with a 64 bit buffer (i.e. lot's of complaints form people using lossless on the 30gb (32 bit buffer) that they experience skips in the music.

Reason (2) is that I understand that the Squeezebox 3 is compatible with Apple Lossless. Ideally, I'd like to connect it via the DAC input on my Cary CD player.

I think that the only downside to using Apple Lossless is that I'm running a Windows XP environment, if that is a downside...