what file format for ripping & buying online if Apple & Windows OS are used?

Hey everybody!

I use an iMac 5K retina for its accessibility features for routine day to day affairs. its seamless connection to other IOS I own is a real plus given their similar feature sets.

as well, a Windows 7 box has some business oriented apps that are far superior to apple's so I MUST regularly fire it up too.

using the 'belt and suspenders approach' to overcome a catastrophic failure with either confuser, and Apple's unjustified refusal to support FLAC files I'm wondering at this point which file format I should land on when ripping or buying files online?

I have for this argument about half of my library ripped as FLAC, and half done in ALAC, so about 15K in each typ, with another 13K miscellaneous.

all HD files from the web are in fLAC.

i'm just getting into subscription streaming providers and have only Apple Music and Spodofy.

I am sure I'll give others a shot soon.

I'll be using the latest dbpower amp app on the iMac to do the ripping going forward. .

all rips will be to lossless formats and I can only see FLAC or Aif as the possible contenders with WAV, and ALAC as outside possibilities.

90% of playback to whatever audio system willl be from the iMac via Audirvana and its IOS remote app as it supports ALL formats.

Roon will be investigated eventually but it seems a doubtful scenario as there will not be more than perhaps two end points.

if the windows box is used for the same affair, FUBAR will be the go to app, supporting one system only.

what would you use, and why?

thanks very much for your feedback.

jim
blindjim

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

Haven't done it in a while, but I posted a thread about it either  here or n the digital section, I think I called it FLAC on a MAC...sorry I'm at work now and should be getting back to it but see if you can find it....