What equipment upgrades or tweaks will improve the sound of drums?

Having just purchased a few quality vinyl recordings  of Elton John after watching Rocketman ignore his band, I'm looking for ways to improve the sound of Nigel Olsson's drumming.  My current system in a Line Magnetic tube amp, Rega Planar 3 w/Ortofon Blue Cartridge, and Audio Physic Step Plus speakers and a JL Audio sub (can't find model no right now).  I'm looking for the punch his drumming deserves.
TT upgrade?, cartridge? Other tweaks?
udog
@in_shore 

Hey in_shore. I just got off the phone with Tony Minasian and he'd like it if you could contact him as he has some music files he'd like to share with you. 

All the best,
Nonoise
I am in Total Agreement with those who have suggested -
AC/POWER.!!

Unless you have addressed your AC/ Power, your system is probably performing at 50% of its potential, if that. I would suggest not to switch out your existing components until you address your Power delivery.

It took me a long time to wrap my mind around it, but once I was exposed to the differences it actually makes - I never turned back. So much more depth in everything, and the level of detail is uncanny.  

One aspect that helped me come to terms with this was for me to conceive my system as a whole investment, and the power delivery as another component - like a amp within my system.  

Look to Power Chords, Cables, Power Distributors, AC Enhancers to invest in.

Good Luck, Have fun
Getting good drum sound goes a long way to getting accurate musical sound, period.  It is in my experience getting an electronic and speaker chain that doesn't distort the harmonic structure of the instruments, including the drums.  After that, it is power.
I suspect your source material. Do you get good drum sounds from other recordings? Elton was/is a big pop star who has sold millions of records which have been massed produce for an audience that is largely ambivalent about tonality. To the record company he was a cash cow and they probably did everything they could to maximize profits from his recordings. Quantity over quality, not to mention that his early recordings were probably mixed and mastered for AM radio. With the exception of the kick drum and possibly a large floor tom the frequency range of most drums is the same as the male vocal range so if your system reproduces good male vocals is should reproduce good drums provided they were recorded, mixed and mastered well.
The 17-11-70 live recording is fine with lots of energy from Elton and powerful bass & drums. Clean enough (free of distortion) to play quite loud. 

For newer drum & bass try e.g. William Parker - Drum & Bass Interlude.