what does this mean?

Hi all-

I'm setting up a new compact system with a Schiit Freya Plus preamp and the Orchard Audio Class D Monoblocks that have recently gotten so much nice attention.  (Speakers will be the Harbeth P3esr).  One thing confuses me, however.  In his Absolute Sound review, Dick Olsher writes:

"The proprietary circuit topology features a DC coupled, balanced modulator stage, and a full-bridge differential power stage (both speaker terminals are 'hot' when the amplifier is on.)"

What does it mean that the speaker terminals are "hot" when the amplifier is on?  And does it imply any extra safety precautions on my part?

If anyone has any experience with the Orchard mono blocks, I'd love to know that as well!

Thanks!

Margot

mcanaday

Not to be technical, simply hookup the speakers, observing all polarity markings, and play. Avoid speaker selector switch boxes, and don’t try to play headphones off  the amps speaker outputs, not that it’s likely you would.  Any normal audiophile setup is perfectly OK.  If you want to use a REL sub, do not connect the black wire to anything, just tag the red and yellow to the amps’ + terminals. 

@mcanaday 

Both speaker output hot, it no different than any other differential output amplifier. The output of the amplifier is bridged.

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.  I've placed an order!  Everything is back-ordered so it will be a while, but I'll report back when I have it set up.

cheers,

Margot