What do you see as the downside of tubes?

I have decided on getting a tube amp and it will be the integrated Mastersound 300B driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars, so at least that decision has been taken.

My main question is what you see as downsides of having a tube amp. As I've decided on getting an integrated tube it's really about what the downsides are I might want to know about beforehand.

The ones I'm aware are the following.

-The tubes need to be replaced and in the case of a 300B this will be somewhat costly.

-Bias is another issue but I'm not sure how big an issue. Do you plug in your meter every so often or just when you roll tubes or replace a dead one? The meter as such isn't gonna be a big issue as I don't think it's that expensive.

-Heat won't be a big issue as we have no kids nor a nosy dog that could get burned. Hope my electricity bill isn't gonna go through the roof, but then again, I can't quite imagine that.

I'd appreciate if you could add whatever your experiences are regarding this question are as I'd like to know more before I buy it.

Thanks
krauti

Showing 8 responses by rodman99999

Krauti- Here's an informative article that will give you some idea about the presentaions of various 300Bs: (http://www.stereophile.com/features/229/) Pay attention to the paragraphs concerning burning them in before critical listening. Many attempt to integrate tubes and their systems, without first doing sufficient homework. When the expectations aren't met; they get frustrated. What a surprise!! A well thought out, tube based system(that includes your acoustic environment) can bring you very close to the pleasures of live music. Here's a 300B that wasn't available when the above article was penned: (http://thetubestore.com/eat-300b.html)
I haven't found a "downside" to tubes. My love for the sound of the real thing, and the frequency at which I get to hear it, demands that I get as close to it as possible at home. Ditto the cost of the best NOS tubes. My view of their cost is directly related to my love of music. Further: Tube rolling is an inexpensive/easy way for a person to give the sound of his/her system a gentle nudge in a particular direction. A flexible, purely subjective method of adjustment available, relative to the listener's tastes. Regardless of what aural preferences one may have: rolling a couple tubes can take one from merely, "OK" to Audio Nirvana. Try that with your SS system.
Dopogue- I had always used Phillips ECGs for power tubes, until the prices and availability(you try and find a NOS, matched octet of KT88s or 6550s of anything, anywhere), made that unrealistic for me. I've been VERY pleased with the latest interation of the Winged 'C'(St petersburg) 6550s(from Upscale). Still- My system needs six 6922s(early 60's Siemens CCa for me), and four 6SN7s(1 pair each- 40's Tung Sol CTL/6SN7GT round plates and Sylvania CHS/6SN7W, tall bottles please) The presentation makes any time/effort to locate, or any money spent, well worth it.
No need to apologize Mr E- There are also companies that manufacture outboard effects pedals, and guitar amps with options, that attempt to digitally simulate the sound of tubed gear. The vast majority of us still opt for tubed amps though. Nothing sounds quite the same, after years of the real thing. Kinda like bank tellers: After they've handled real money for a while, they can tell fake stuff as soon as they touch it.
Exactly Fernando- I don't see ANY downside to tubes AT ALL. Your perspective will be based on your love for the sound of music.
Tvad- Further; making that statement would seem to imply that the individual had listened to, "most tube based components" that have been manufactured. A premise that I highly doubt!