What do in store listening tests prove?

Please don't take this as the next swipe at retail HT stores. No hidden agendas to boost my ego or salve my conscience. Just a question that I know you all must have more experience with.

When you demo a piece in a theater or studio at a store, what is it really telling you? My instincts suggest to me that all you are really able to validate is how you like the products' sound or performance relative to the the other components it is attached to and the acoustical qualities (or lack thereof) of that particular room setup.

Is there any way to make some educated interpolation of how a product will sound in your own personal listening environment based upon how it sounds in the showroom, short of taking it home and demoing it?

Thanks.
rogocop

Showing 1 response by gs5556

In-store listening is the first step, sort of an introduction to the product that narrows your selection. The second step, and IMO the most important, is to take it home for evaluation to see how you like it in your environment. A repetitive and time consuming process, yes, but considering the price tag, a necessary one. What's the alternative? Buying without trying? Not for that kind of money.