what do i really need 1080p for?

if my only intention of getting a plasma/or lcd is to buy a new tv, that can accept the high def signal in the future, what do i need a 1080p tv for? arent they only really useful if using a blue-ray type source? my intention is to NOT use this as part of home theater , or even to watch dvds..simply watch cable tv. that being said...looking for 46" isnt plasma the way to go? ive got a sony 36" Wega XBR and not much rivals that...so whatever i get needs to outperform it. And 720p of course is way less coin.
jaf2290

Showing 1 response by glowplug

I have a home theater business and have been on the working end of audio video for 8 years. No matter what-go LCD--allready 70% of the market, a lot of companies got out of the plasma market and with good reason. there is 40 years of research and development in lcd. Very soon plasma will be dead! And I dont even own one, i went dlp, which will also be dead. You do not need 1080P, sorry guys but thats the simple reality, its only even noticable if you are sitting close enough, and most of the installations they go in provide no benefit. I recently read in one of the HT nagazines i get, they of course had a tv shootout. Some were 1080p others not---a 720P plasma won the shootout, and NOT ONE of the reviewers, who were strictly looking at picture quality , even noticed. That being said, use all of those tv's in test for 12 months and run it again---LCD's would dominate no question.