What do I buy? Klipsch vs. Definitive Technology

I need some help. I am looking for a sub to complete my 5.1 setup. I listened to the Def Tech super cubes and was not impressed. I liked the higher end Klipsch's better. I thought the sound range was way better.

My problem is, what do I do with the rest of my system which I want to upgrade anyway? I want them to all match. Currently have the following Def Tech (center channel-clr3000, towers-BP7006). My surrounds are just some old basic Klipsch book shelves, nothing fancy. I picked up the clr3000 last year and was a HUGE upgrade from the previous one I had. Sounds great.

I want a clean looking installation and I don't like the fact that the Def Techs have all the extra power cords. Makes it harder to hide them behind the wall.
Am I making too big of a deal about this? If I get Def Tech surrounds, that is two more power cords right?

I would like to get some opinions on a Klipsch system vs. Def Tech. I'm looking into the Klispch RF-63 Home Theater System as replacement. I would be starting from scratch.

It would be cheaper to just upgrade my surrounds and sub, but I like both brands and I know for sure I am not getting a Def Tech Super Cube subwoofer.
brooks1856

Showing 3 responses by brooks1856

For Def Tech surrounds I was looking at (bipolars) the BPX, BPVX, BP2X. I thought I had read somewhere that those were powered too, although I don't see it specifically said one way or the other on their website.

As for the BP2006's, I would only be replacing those if I decided to go with Klipsch all the way around. I don't have any problems with those. The subs are facing away from each other and the room is about 15x20.

What you said about Klipsch sounding better for music and Def Tech better for movies may help answer what I'm looking for though. I rarely listen to music much anymore, just in my car or headphones at work. My home stereo is used 90% of the time for movies.

What about mixing a Klipsch sub with 5 Def Tech speakers? It's not unusual for your sub to not match your other home theater speakers is it? The super cube just didn't blow me away, but I was listen to music in the store, not watching a movie when I demoed it.
No, I don't have them crossed over or anything. I'm just an intermediate audio guy so I don't mess with that kind of stuff much. Just the positive and negative wires running from the receiver to the speakers. I guess the main reason I want a sub is that for 5.1 (or someday 7.1), each speaker has its own audio channel. I feel like I'm missing an element to the the movie by not having a dedicated sub for that channel.
Thanks everyone for their input. This helps me tremendously. By the way my AVR is a pretty old Denon 2800. Probably 8-9 years old.