what do horns sound like

Ive probably only heard one or two many years ago and i may never get a chance to hear another anytime soon.

Do they work with pop music and electronic music? 

Do they disappear?

Do they have even tonality?

are they for nearfield or far field?
kenjit
@shiva, agreed, no system (horn-driven or not) should have a minimum requirement on sound level. I'm not even sure physically why one would, unless the user runs them at quiet levels and mistakes lack of contouring for poor response. I find personally that speakers get blamed for a lot of sins that end up being my fault for not setting things up properly.
"This discussion is educational for all of us. It doesn’t mean we have to agree. You learn by asking questions and provoking thought. 
This hobby is full of controversies theres no need to manufacture any. There will be more nuggets of wisdom from me coming soon. "

Yup, indeed. Do you actually read and believe what you write?

There are no controversies that should exist 
at all with this hobby, only differences of opinion. However, when someones behavior is blatantly obvious as to its intent, it has to be called out.

This bit is a common mythology. Horn throat design is tricky but when done correctly no coloration exists.

That's why in my post you are commenting about, I did not say "all horns".

But I will stick to my statement about "most horns". I have heard more than just a few horns, in all price ranges, over the years, and I will stick to my statement.

I hear the horn. 
Simonmoon I realize you did not actually say "all horns", and somewhere upthread you mentioned Avangardes as an exception.

Then you go on to say something that seems like a sweeping generalization (and presumably includes the Avantgardes?):

"I have heard more than just a few horns, in all price ranges, over the years, and I will stick with my statement. I hear the horn."

I’m not saying you don’t hear the horn. Nor am I a defender of "all horns" by any means - I also hear cupped-hands and/or edginess in most horns! But to back up Ralph’s statement which you quoted above:

I’ve had visually-impaired audiophiles in my room multiple times at multiple audio shows, who stayed for a long time, and were completely unaware they were listening to horns until I told them.   In other words, they did not "hear the horn."

As Ralph said, "when done correctly, no coloration exists."

The devils are in the details, of course.

Duke
I don't think I have ever heard a horn without coloration (i.e. peaks/valleys in frequency response), which is why I use them for their many advantages while relying on as cleanly-done signal processing as I can muster. I only insist that they produce undistorted sine output through their range, not counting amplitude as distortion. Horns that don't pass that test are irreparable.

Then again, I never had a direct-radiator speaker that didn't require some equalization to suit my taste, all the way back to the famously 'flat' AR entries of the 60s.