What DAC upgrade made you say “DAMN, that sounds SO MUCH better than my last DAC”?

As the title suggests, what was your overall system and DAC at the point where you bought only a new DAC and said “DAMN, that sounds SO MUCH better than my last DAC”?

I’m a novice and so many people talk about improvements from new equipment as if they were only listening to varying degrees of static until they bought more and more new equipment which added up to them finally being presented with music. It’s like Salome and the seven veils. But when does the last veil get peeled away? 

So what system did you have and what DAC did you swap in that made you say “DAMN!!!!”?

I guess I’m looking for night and day differences, not gradual progressions……

pip_helix
Couple years ago I went from a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC to an Esoteric D7 DAC.   I was stunned by what I was missing.
Hi,
a few years ago I followed the discussions about the highly praises LKS 004 DAC for month, before I ordered one for myself.
I was so dissappointed about its performance that I could not beleve it.
Then someone menshioned that Ric Shultz who made a far-reaching modification for me. When my LKS returned (after a long journey from Vienna, Austria to California and way back to me) I could say "WOW - what has he done to my DAC?" I am still very happy with it but keep my eyes still open....
http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/LKS_Mods.html
I replaced my Marantz HD-DAC1 with a Denafrips Pontus II and it elevated the SQ of my system to a whole new level. The Pontus greatly improved soundstage and definition while smoothing out any digital harshness.  I purchased the Marantz to be used as a combination headphone amp / DAC and its now being used with my PC.  I am now convinced that a quality standalone DAC is essential to any digital system.