What country builds the best audio equipment?

I remember not so long ago when audio equipment was mainly a home grown product with the exception of Japan here in the U.S. Today it’s a global market with competition from every corner of the world. I use to think here in the U.S was were the best equipment was being built, but now I’m not sure.
Built quality and performance seems to be lacking a little here in the states with few exceptions compared to what’s being produced over seas and up to the north. So what country is the best equipment coming from? Maybe it’s still the U.S, but if pure aesthetics says anything I would say not.
As for Sonics tough to call, maybe still here in the U.S? 
hiendmmoe
When it comes to honest reproduction of sound via high fidelity the leading brand is ATC (professional & consumer HiFi) of United Kingdom, Gloucester)  Also their gear is mostly home made, so they have ultimate control from beginning to the end of building components.  Not many brands do that.......
Ralph's right. "Home made" is what High End is all about. He makes his Atma-Sphere electronics in a second house he bought for that very purpose. Nelson Pass stuffs the boards in his First Watt products himself, a batch at a time. Roger Modjeski hand built his transformers and amps himself in Santa Barbara, John Wright assembles his London pickups, one at a time. If you want a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-8b loudspeakers, you have to be willing to wait until Bruce Thigpen has time to build you a pair. Brian Ding installs his Rythmik plate amps and woofers into their China-sourced enclosures in Austin, listening to each sub before boxing it up for shipping. There are many more examples that could be cited.
This is a stupid thread. There is no best, varying degrees of different. Of course I could be wrong.
An international choice: Cd: Ear acute ( UK), MSB préamp. (California,US) , Wavac 805m; monoblocks. ( Japan) , Ilumnia Magister speakers (Belgium).