What CD Player to replace McIntosh MCD550?

I want to replace my McIntosh MCD550 SACD/CD player. I like the sound and resolution of the unit but I’ve all but given up on McIntosh for their CD players. This is my third unit since July of 2015. Warranty replaced the first two for bad order transports now this current one (out of warranty) is exhibiting the same problems. I stayed within the product line as my system is all McIntosh. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Bill

klenbore

Showing 4 responses by melbguyone

Bill, what is your budget? What sound characteristics & features (eg:: sacd, DSD/MQA support) are you wanting from your next player? And what is your accompanying equipment? Cheers.
Apropos my post above, If you wanted a higher end model than the Piccolo +, there is the Aria 2 model which has an in-built ripper & options like an external linear psu. Though i'm unsure about pricing.
There is a Modwright Sony SCD-XA5400ES in good shape FS asking $2700 which is a giant killer at that price point, but it lacks the digital inputs you require. That said you could probably get that player for $2.3-$2.4k & spend the savings on some Stillpoints or Shun Mook iso feet, or a cable upgrade - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis91bg2-sony-modwright-scd-xa5400es-cd-sacd-players

All things considered, I think the player which ticks all your boxes, and will be a very good RBCD as well as SACD player is the new Ayon CD-10. And that will give you the flexibility to roll the stock 6H30EB tubes with mil-spec DR’s, or warm sounding cryo’d EH 6H30 Gold Pins to get a different/better sound. There is a brand new unit on the ‘Gon asking <$5k FYI, though I’m sure you could negotiate a good deal through your local Ayon Dealer. Hope that helps.
Bill, Is SACD a requirement? As that would rule out the AMR player suggested above, as well another tube rbcd player Personally I wouldn’t offer more than $4500 taking into account what was covered in the service. though they’re accepting offers. I previously owned a CD-5s which I modded/tube-rolled & can attest that is a musical sounding rbcd player with good bass. It also has a very good linestage (once modded/tube rolled). That was Ayon’s best work up to the current series now that they’ve got their mojo back. But be aware that both the AMR and Ayon players are made in China. In the case of Ayon - in Koowloon, Hong Kong.

If SACD is a requirement, there is an Esoteric K-03 on A’gon asking $5200. That player also has the digital inputs you need. Though my only reservations are that it is a better SACD player than RBCD player, and has an unecessarily complex set of filter and other settings, although the TAS review provides some setup tips as a hack.

Another option out of left field. Have you considered a high end server/streamer in lieu of a disc spinner? I recently got to listen to and have a play with the Aria Piccolo + which has very good software, a good dac & has an optional fully automatic cd ripper. You literally insert the disc into the ripper & it is automatically ripped to the server which uses Accurate rip. There is also 3TB of HDD storage, or up to 2TB of SSD storage (optional). The new ’plus’ model is a 3rd generation product and has impressive build quality and specs for the money. I believe it has all the features you require, and you should be able to pick up one new with the optional ripper & 2TB of SSD storage for under $5k - http://ariamusicserver.com/products/aria-piccolo-plus/#1519918517070-90078e81-be63