What cartridges under $800 outperform DL-103R?

I have a brass plate on my nude DL-103 and I'm ready for a change. I'm looking for more air and ambiance, but don't want to sacrifice extension on either end.

I'm debating whether to try Uwe's Panzerholz body on a 103R, or try something altogether different like a Dynavector 20XH, Sumiko Blackbird, Lyra Dorian, Zyx R50 Bloom. I had a Benz Glider L2 (0.4 mV) for a while, but didn't find it any better than the 103R. My tonearm is Micro Seiki MA-707.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mingles

Showing 3 responses by mingles

I'm having trouble with one of my amps, so a report is going to take longer than I hoped.
Thanks to everyone who replied on- and off-line. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

I just purchased a Soundsmith retipped 103R potted in an ebony body. The retip is ruby cantilever with a nude contact line diamond. It probably won't be the end of my cartridge search, but the price was right and I feel like I should check it out. I've been interested in an ebony body for quite a while. The SS retip is gravy on top.

The Shelter 501 sounds appealing. Someone offered to loan me their 901. I should take them up so I can do a direct comparison with the 103R-SS.

What is the opinion on buying used cartridges? One never knows what you're getting when you buy used. You never really know how the previous owner cared for the cartridge or whether they mounted it correctly, or how many hours are on it. You have to trust the seller to disclose this info honestly. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
01-04-09: Nrenter
Mingles,
Have you received you Soundsmith retipped 103R potted in an ebony body? I want to hear about it.
I have the cartridge and mounted it, but haven't had any time to listen to it due to the holidays. I promise to report back when I have something to say.