What cartridge to replace my Audioquest 404 BH?

Well, my AR ES-1 turntable was in a closet for about 15 years before I set it back up a couple months ago. The tonearm is an Audioquest PT-5. It actually sounds pretty good, with the exception of the louder, more complex passages, which sound a bit strained or harsh(I don't think the problem is mis-tracking). As to the cartridge itself, it was used quite a bit back in the day, and I have played quite a few LPs since setting it back up. With my vision, it is difficult to really see the stylus and I don't have much experience with how a stylus is supposed to look anyway. I just have a feeling that the stylus is worn(not to mention just old) and I can improve my sound with a new cartridge.

The 404 BH was a pretty highly reviewed high output MC cartridge in its day, and I wouldn't want to take a step down in audio quality. Its rated output is 2.2mv, which is on the low side for my receiver and I have to crank the volume fairly high.

So, can anyone recommend a few MM or high output MC cartridges that I can check out?   I am seeing great reviews on the Dynavector 20X2 H and 10X5 .  Thanks much.
mtrot
Yes I would get the 10X5 all day! If you need a little more refinement, delicacy, beauty, then choose the 20x2. I have owned many great cartridges (Denon, Nagaoka, Grado, Ortofon, Clearaudio) and the Dynavectors are just plain lively and exciting and engaging!

Matt M
Thanks for the reply!  I do need to make sure that any cartridge I buy matches my tone arm in terms of compliance.
Just about any new cartridge will outperform a worn or aged cartridge that has lost compliance if not also stylus shape.  Dynavector is a fine choice among many many possible choices.  You may also want to check your turntable for speed, both absolute speed and speed stability.  If the AR has been sitting for years, the belt is at least suspect and probably ought to be replaced empirically.  Also, check and probably replace the bearing lubricant.
Thanks, lewm.  Yes, I ordered and installed a new belt from LP Gear.  I'll also replace the bearing lube, which I still have some of the original.
Depending on budget:

Audio Technica AT150Sa
Hana EH
MOFI UltraTracker
Hana SH
MOFI MasterTracker
Ortofon Black

I'm now thinking of picking up a phono pre-amp and then connecting to an extra analog input on my receiver instead of using the built-in phono pre-amp.  This opens up lots of options for me, such as the Ortofon Quintet series of "affordable" MC cartridges, which I am having recommended to me.  Any recommendations of lower output MC cartridges in the $500-1000 range?
Any recommendations of lower output MC cartridges in the $500-1000 range?

Zu Audio/Denon 103
Hana SL
Audio Technica AT-ART9
Dynavector 17D3 ( just a little out of your budget, but REALLY nice)