What can I do to upgrade my system? Thanks

My current system right now is used for movies and music hooked up from my computer via optical cable from sound card built in to my motherboard. I listen to all genres of music and all different quality files from 256-lossless
I would say its 75% music and 25% movies on this system.

I was hoping someone could help me out with upgrading. What would be the cheapest upgrade that would give me noticeable gains in sound quality.

Here's my current system

Surround Front - Monitor Audio Silver Rx1's
Front Center - Monitor Audio BX centre
Rear Surround - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800
Sub - Sony sa-wm250
Reciever/AMP - Denon AVR - 3805

My budget for upgrading is $400

I posted this on another forum and someone suggested I invest in a DAC(HRT music streamer pro) which started a debate in if a DAC would do anything since my Denon has a built in one. I figured this forum could help me out a little better. Also if a DAC wouldn't be my best option please let me know.
Thanks in advance
128x128bayvillian516

Showing 2 responses by cbw723

I think it would be crazy to spend $400 on cables or other tweaks when you have $1000 speakers. Make sure you have good wires, but don't dump scarce money into things that will likely have only a subtle effect on your sound quality. As I see it, your weakest link is the Toslink from the computer to the Denon. You have two options to improve it:

1) Get a USB to SPDIF converter. There are many of these available at various price points and with different features. Depending on the distance from your computer to the Denon, you may want something like the Halide Bridge (which is USB all the way from computer to DAC) or the HiFace (which is SPDIF all the way), or one of the boxes that you can run USB half way and SPDIF half way. A good-quality converter will serve you well if you continue to upgrade your components. Several of these converters were reviewed recently in Positive Feedback Online (#51), but there are a number of others, too.

2) Get an external USB DAC. While the Denon has a DAC, it likely isn't "audiophile grade." The new HRT DACs are not expensive and have been well reviewed, but there are other options -- look at the used gear here on Audiogon.

Personally, I would do #1. In either case, it would be best if you could try out the gear first. Some of the vendors have 30 or 60 day return policies (though you might pay a restocking fee), so you can return the item if it doesn't improve your sound.

(BTW, I don't think you need the HRT pro. It has mini XLR connectors, IIRC. I think the Music Streamer II+ would be the one you want.)
Good choices, all. Let us know how it sounds when you get it all put together.