What are your top 5 Billboard top 10 songs of the 1970"s?

As many agree the 1970’s had the best pop music of any recorded era, I thought it would be very interesting to see what Audiogon members have to say about this. I know 5 is tough but I did not want to make this post too long winded. As always I appreciate your time and selections. My top 5 are...

#1 Baker Street-Gerry Rafferty 1978 #2
#2 Summer Breeze-Seals & Crofts. 1972 #6
#3 American Pie-Don Mclean. 1972 #1
#4 Ricki Don’t Lose That Number. 1974 #4
#5 Miracles-Jefferson Starship. 1975 #3

Yes there are many great songs I could have placed here but this is my list for 8/18/21. Look forward to your responses!
dayglow
I would never have chosen Miracles. Jefferson Starship was such a sad come-down from the amazing Jefferson Airplane. That terrible music was a real heartbreaker.
Still, this is a good thread, and I will think and come up with a top 5.
Sorry buddy I took the blotter acid.. Little foggy the 70s. When the memories come back they are pretty colorful.

Who’ll stop the Rain. (I just listen to this LP the other day)
Bad Girls
Maggie May
ABC
A Sex Machine (and this one)

Just about any thing by;

Jean-Luc Ponty
Herbie Hancock
Jeff Beck
Miles Davis
George Benson
Chick Corea
Tony Williams Sr.
Stanley Clark
Billy Cobham
Sonny Rollins
Jackie Mclean (I think he was in the 70s)

NO on the Dixie land Jazz. Not my thing... But I did like Satchmo.

Regards
Miracles has great vocals. musicianship and intensity all in a ballad what's not to like? I was 10 years old when Miracles was released so It might be easier(for me) to view the Airplane and Starship as different great bands. "Ricki Don't Lose That Number" was originally performed by Steely Dan(forgot to type band name) as if anyone on Audiogon does not know(lol)!
A true heavyweight single was Hey Jude! Yes it was released in August '68 but it held the record No.1 for nine weeks on the Billboard Top 100. A record that stood for 9 years into the 70's! The Beatles hold the record for most No.1 singles!
I was a young kid in the '70s but I remember hearing these songs on jukeboxes and AM radios.
1. Eagles - One of these nights
2. 10cc - I'm not in love
3. ELO - Evil woman
4. Rod Stewart - Do ya think I'm sexy
5. Bee Gees - How deep is your love
1. Lady In Black - Uriah Heep
2. Let It Be - Beatles
3. Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet
4. Into The Void - Black Sabbath
5. A tie between - Without You/Coconut - Harry Nilsson

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I didn't think it would hurt to broaden the choices a bit....

The 1970's saw me pretty much totally abandon top forty pop music for stuff more off-the-beaten-track. So off the top of my head my alternative top 5 -- 

Vicious -- Lou Reed
Walk on the Wild Side -- Lou Reed
I Wanna be Sedated -- Ramones
Marquee Moon -- Television
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie

And how 'bout an honorary No. 6?  MacArthur Park -- Richard Harris
I included Hey Jude because its record of nine straight weeks at No.1 stood until 1977! That's the Disco era!
The OP wants the Top 5 or 10 songs of the 70's on the Billboard chart! NOT the songs you remember fondly!
Post removed 
The OP wants the Top 5 or 10 songs of the 70's on the Billboard chart! NOT the songs you remember fondly!
Actually, he doesn't.
He wants your top 5 songs from the Billboard Top Ten of the 70's.
What are your top 5 Billboard top 10 songs

Notice that word YOUR in the title.

BTW, did you guys only listen mostly to the radio in the 70’s? The 70’s was the pinnacle of R&R creativity. There is a great many good artists and songs but they weren’t reflected on the typical radio station of the 70’s

Zeppelin
Sabbath
Grand Funk
James Gang
Doobie bros
Steely Dan
Who
Stones
Eagles
Bowie
Blue Oyster Cult
Average White Band
Tower of Power

All these and more were in their prime in the 70’s. And the list should be 10-20 times more than what I have named. But that was 50 yrs ago doing the height of my party days. Top 10.........Impossible for me and Old heavy

So far thx for all the replies. Since this thread is going off track might need to again clarify what qualifies. Billboard awarded 252 #1 songs of the 1970's. In 1970 alone 38 songs hit #1 and 97 songs hit the top 10. If that is any indication of the average then close to 1000 songs hit the Billboard top 10 during the decade. Let's try to get back on track, posting on Audiogon deserves high standards!
close to 1000 songs hit the Billboard top 10 during the decade.
So you only want "top 10 hits"? Is that your standard for good music from the '70's? Most of the top 10 hits were pushed by radio & record companies trying to sell a product. It was popular to the sheeple who only listened to radio. But not to many who actually bought albums and listened to music

I'll go away now. Have fun

No disrespect intended to previous posters but when the Beatles channel puts on "Hey Jude", I change the channel. That one and "Yesterday" were so overplayed on hit radio in the 70's (and beyond), I just can't listen.
Breakdown - Tom Petty (1976)
Those Shoes - Eagles (1979)

Loved the vibe on those two when I was a kid.
@artemus_5   

Is that your standard for good music from the '70's?

I don't think the OP was suggesting that defined "good music".  He was simply teeing up some input and reflection - of that category what did you like best?  I suspect nearly no one on this board believe Billboard Top 10 defines good music ! lol
It didn't define good music, but it certainly contained A lot of it.
A good thread. A nice change of pace from the usual fuse arguments, amp class arguments, tweak arguments, contact enhancer arguments, power cord arguments......
The second half of the 70’s was the beginning of corny.
The first half was still showing there is greatness, with teasers of what’s to come.

It was obvious when Fonzi jumped in 1977.

Hotel California (Eagles)
(Don't Fear) The Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult)
Listen To The Music - Doobie Brothers
China Grove - Doobie Brothers
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
Without regard to Billboard, my five favorite 70’s albums would be:

Cat Stevens- Tea For The Tillerman
Joni Mitchell- Court And Spark
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young- Deja Vu
Bob Dylan- Blood On The Tracks
Jethro Tull- Thick As A Brick

I grew up with these albums, and now own all of them in three formats; cassette, CD and vinyl. I’m sure I’m not alone. If I were adding more, I would include David Bowie, Neil Young and The Who.

These five probably meet all of the OP's criteria:

Venus - Shocking Blue
Tighter and Tighter - Alive and Kicking
I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
Inner City Blues - Marvin Gaye
Papa Was a Rolling Stone (long version) - Temptations

These don't meet the OP's criteria; but, they probably should have:

You Got Me Anyway - Sutherland Brothers
I'll Be The One - Badfinger
Dirty Work - Steely Dan
Planet Queen - T Rex
I'm On Fire - Dwight Twilley Band
Pretty Lady - Lighthouse
Until You Come Back To Me - Aretha Franklin
Woman To Woman - Joe Cocker
Thunder and Lightning - Chi Coltrane
Ooh La La - The Faces
Hold On - Ian Gomm
No Time To Lose - Tarney - Spencer Band
Can't Live My Life - Crabby Appleton
Star - Stealers Wheel
Born To Wander - Rare Earth
Schoolboy Crush - Average White Band
Running back To Saskatoon - Guess Who 

I don’t think the OP was suggesting that defined "good music". He was simply teeing up some input and reflection - of that category what did you like best?
It didn’t define good music, but it certainly contained A lot of it.
The second half of the 70’s was the beginning of corny.

I guess I don’t understand why someone wants to talk just for the sake of talking. Not the best. Not the worst. OK, just memories. But I never paid any attention to top 40. it was filler IMO. But thats me.
I will agree that a lot of good music was top 40. A blind squirrel findas a nut sometimes. One example I remember was a song by

Diesel - Sausolito Summer Nights. Give it a listen
(1) Diesel - Sausalito Summer Nights - Bing video

as to corny Music in the last half, let me remind you that The Wall and Breakfast in America both came out in 1979. There are plenty others but 'Disco" overshadowed the good music being put out

100 Greatest Albums of 1979 (digitaldreamdoor.com)
Atlanta Rhythm Section Eileen
Pure Prairie League Aimee
Rod Stewart Maggie May
Foghat It Hurts Me Too
Michael Stanley Band Lets Get the Show on the Road

Ask me again tomorrow and I will recall 5 others that were impact ful and meaning full to me. Great thread!
Post removed 
Have to agree with Roxy on the "Miracles" take...Ditto anything Starship, Marty Balin's outstanding vocals aside.  Remember his gem of a composition "Coming Back To Me" from Surrealistic Pillow?  Anything Becker/Fagen gets my backing.  Loved that haunting sax in Baker Street back in '78.  Trivia quiz:  Spring of 1973...Band member Gerry Rafferty on lead vocals.  "Well I don't know why I came here tonight"...The band?  The song?

5 of my 70's chart faves..."Rock On" ('72) - David Essex; "Gold" ('79) - John Stewart; "Rhiannon" ('75) - Fleetwood Mac; "I Want Your Love" ('78) - Chic (Yes, Disco!); "Miss You" ('78) - Rolling Stones

5 charters I truly reviled..."You Light Up My Life" (Debbie Boone); "Feelings" (Morris Albert); "My Love" (Paul McCartney/Wings); "The Candy Man" (Sammy Davis, Jr.); "Just The Way You Are" (William Joel)  
Hey edcyn...Sorry, but Richard Harris left the cake out in the rain in the summer of '68.
Hey Carpathian...right on!  And how about the posters who want to know if a vintage California Audio Labs CL-15 they are considering will do well with it's volume control on max feeding Kraftwerk techno tracks direct to their Rowland Amp for output via Audioquest cable to their beloved Spendors. How about the posters who presume to have an answer!  Wowee!  
Trivia answer, Stealers Wheel, have the album. I hardly ever listen to 70's music anymore, don't romanticize my druggie days anymore.
Some 70's music I can still listen to.Ball Of Confusion-TemptationsGreen Eyed Lady-SugarloafLong and Winding Road-BeatlesReflections of my Life-MarmaladeLove Me Or Let Me Be Lonely-The Friends of Distinction
Still, love soul music from that era, burned out rock of later 70's my issue.
Don't mean to cast aspersions on previous poster, but Hey Jude is perhaps the WORST song ever made IMO. Every time I hear that song reminds me of my nephew singing along with that song, the apple of his parents eye. Everyone had to watch and smile, laugh, say how cute the kid is. That kid was the most devious and provocative kid ever, how did I know, I had to babysit him! Singing that never ending song with the nah, nah, nah, nah, the memory drives me NUTS!
@rwp2694 -- Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The song ain’t perfect. But I forgive the tune’s & Harris’ performance their excesses. I appreciate the recording’s sheer romantic sweep and ardor. And the tune’s B section not only makes for a lovely interlude to the dramatics of the opening & closing sections, its lyrics are decidedly eloquent...skillfully just south of maudlin.
edcyn...It's okay; I'm not dinging it...liked it myself, grandiosity and all. Plenty to appreciate, as you say. But just saying it wasn't 70's.  Trivia questions: Harris hit the charts with MacArthur not long after "making hay" in the leading role in what movie?  The park is located in what U.S. city?  
rwp -- Richard Harris actually enjoyed quite a successful film career. I loved Man in the Wilderness. And, of course, MacArthur Park is in L.A.  I'd take my high school girlfriend there.  The tune "MacArthur Park" made me a confirmed Jimmy Webb fan, even if it did make my rock-and-roll bandmates believe I'd lost my sanity.  I actually saw Jimmy Webb perform live at the Troubadour. Terrible voice, but could that guy play cocktail lounge style piano... 
My list is taken solely from songs that reached #1 on Billboard in the 70s. I mean if it didn’t reach #1, how great could it be? (just kidding, sort of)

So I excluded the ultra catchy one hit wonders such as Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting, Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died, Bo Donaldson, The Heywoods - Billy, Don’t Be a Hero, and Looking Glass - Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl) (this one was tough to exclude) simply because I don’t want to reward groups with one ultra catchy song.

I also excluded the overly sentimental such as Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water, Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Olivia Newton-John - I Honestly Love You, David Soul - Don’t Give Up on Us, Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life, and Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond - You Don’t Bring Me Flowers because they’re just too syrupy.

And last I excluded the novelty songs such as Three Dog Night - Joy to the World, Sammy Davis Jr. - Candy Man, Ray Stevens - The Streak, and C. W. McCall - Convoy.

Having excluded about half the #1 songs (I was just giving examples), this is what I came up with:

Diana Ross - Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (powerful stuff)

Don McLean - American Pie (technically not a one hit wonder and probably the best overall song of the decade).

Gladys Knight & the Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia (I can sing and dance the Pips parts including pulling the train whistle chain)

Captain & Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together (a happy, not syrupy love song)

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band - Blinded by the Light (it should be against the law to play this without the instrumental bridge)

Extremely difficult to leave out songs like Rich Girl, Philadelphia Freedom, Hotel California, and Escape (The Pina Colada Song) but choices had to be made.
What can I say? I always disliked the Eagles. The only tune I ever did like from them was New Kid in Town. I actually bought the 45rpm single. It didn't help that my rock-and-roll buddies loved the Eagles to distraction. One of them even went on tour with them as their staff accountant.
from Billboard's Top 100 for the 1970s (too much effort for me to review 520 top 10 lists); these I'd probably most enjoy listening to repeatedly:
* Won't Get Fooled Again - Who
* Riders on the Storm - Doors
* What's Going On? - Marvin Gaye
* Smiling Faces Sometimes - Undisputed Truth
* Maggie May/Reason to Believe - Rod Stewart
As others have suggested, many album tracks - even into the 70s - were much better than the Billboard Top 100 lists.

@rwp2694:
title, "Stuck in the Middle with You"

+1 kb67 and +1 winnardt

Great posts! Smiling Faces Sometimes-Undisputed Truth one of the great R&B/Pop(#3 1971) singles of the 1970"s. Great Take on American Pie! Regardless of how many times played or analyzed that does not diminish its greatness.
You might want to have look at this .. the racing site that is "the go too" for us NHRA class Racers has a little thread "Musical Taste". A buddy and me started it a year ago, and so far it has 84 thousand views (from racers). Its a thread similar to this one but everyday we post another favorite. I admit I been slipping lately, but theirs some pretty good viewpoints on it ... Have a look ..  
http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76442

Hey Mitchagain...So true, they don't meet the Billboard criteria, but nice eclectic mix:
Five stars for Southerland Bros & Quiver; Steely Dan; Ian Gomm and Rare Earth.