What are the best subwoofers to use with Magnepan 20.1s?

Hello all.  Which subwoofers would give the smoothest response/integration with Magnepan 20.1 speakers?  The rest of the system is Audio research Ref 3 preamp, Pass labs 600.5 amps, VPI ref scoutmaster turntable, Pass Labs XP 25 phonostage, UHA Tape Deck.  Thank you in advance for the help.
powerdoctor

Showing 1 response by stickman451

Subwoofers DO make a positive difference with Maggies!  I know, I use two Rel G2's with my 20.7's.  The primary purpose for using subs with Maggies is not for the reason you might be thinking; more, deeper bass.  My Maggies go down to approx 27 hz in my 17.5 x 26 room which is Plenty Low for most music.  

What I have found is that adding the Rels makes the entire soundfield bigger, more dense, more full, adding to the PRAT, and actually Improving the level of Detail that I hear in all my music.  Yeah I know, you've heard that last one before, but it's True! Once the Rel's settled-in I began to hear intricate details and subtle cues in the music that I had not previously noticed.  

I don't know or understand the physics, but adding the two Rel's took my rig to the next level!  I seldom run the Rels above 28hz or 30hz and always at a very low volume level (typically less than 10).  It WORKS!

I prefer the Rels over Magnepans own supplemental woofers beacuse they do not add an additional Load to your amps; the Rels have a very high impedance so they dont add a burden to your main amps (which are already working overtime to drive the Maggies).  

The Rels make an Excellent speaker, the Maggie, an even better one!