What are the best sounding classical CDs

I am looking to start a classical collection. I am looking for some suggestions on good classical preformances that have excellent sound.
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal
As far as the Penguin guide mentioned above: I personally find that they do a very very good job of choosing good performances; but do not do such a good job on sound quality. I suspect that the systems that some reviewers use are mid-fi at best, or they don't believe in better cables. I have compared a number of remastered CDs with older versions. Many that got worse in my opinion, they thought were a big improvement. I do agree that those new issues sound better on budget gear and boom boxes.
No label has the best sound quality on all its CD's. In fact few of even the so called audiophile labels have any.

Real, and true sonic quality has little to do with the label, and more to do with which engineer was on the job during recording.

Few engineers and producers can resist (over) using the very expensive and elaborate mixing equipment they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on.

And no audiophile products whatever are brand wide high quality (with very few exceptions).

Even the so called all time great sonic performances are subject to scrutiny for over processing in the mixing.

And typically playback systems are so colored, especially when chosen for their overbearing distorted bass reproduction that is so popular, and not true in revealing generally what is actually on the CD in the first place.

But, if its the truest possible to the sonic quality of the actual intruments in a concert performance you seek, there is a 'short' list of tried and true well produced albums (from surprising labels) that can be used for testing your system. But will no doubt at the same time inform you of the very poor quality of almost all other CD's.

It can be found under the 'MUSIC' link at: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/music.htm

There is nothing to buy there, but While you are there you can become educated in the realities of reproduced sound by checking out other of its links.

I can guarantee you that you will find no better quality recordings listed anywhere. If you have an even modestly accurate system, you may find yourself enjoying mucic that you otherwise would have no interest in, just because of its real, and therefore involving, sonic qualities.
Sugarbrie; agree mostly on the DG recordings...however, I have found that the CD's from DG marked "4D" recording are quite "entertaining". I would not state that they are accurate as an RCA red dog purist microphone approach as I suspect they are heavily engineered, but they are nonetheless enjoyable in a hi-fi sense, and certainly not treble harsh as most DG.
PAL; anything on the Lyrita label, they did not know how to make a bad recording, the drawback is that the catalog is only more recent English composers (last 75 or so years), not everyone’s cup of tea.
Agree with RCA living releases, even the BMG releases are quite good..never cared much for the old Mercury living presence..found them to be lacking in dynamics.
I have found channel classics to be some of the best recorded CD's. They have an excellent mix of performers as well. If you like BACH and enjoy violin solos you can not go wrong with Rachel Podger. Go to www.channel.nl