What are the $5000 options

for a table, something versatile (dual arms) and lasting? I just sold a Scout; I still own a Denon DP60L; and I have owned a minor Rega and Clearaudio. I would most likely go used this time--but that ain’t written in stone.

My monoblocks are Cary SLM-100s with Solen teflon coupling and bypass capacitors--elsewhere Mundorf Supremes. The signal resistors are mix of TX2575 or wirewounds. The pre is a similarly modified Cary SLP-98, save for the Silver/Gold and Oil coupling caps. Thus, the sound is big, wide, deep and clear. I use an ASR Mini Basis Exclusive and a modified Bottlehead Seduction. The speakers are ProAc D28. The room is odd and malevolent. Music is eclectic.

I'm thinking lean and detailed, but all help will be welcomed.
calbrs03

Showing 6 responses by calbrs03

Yes, I owned them. The models were entry-level, or slightly better, and i didn't expect them to be their best representative. That said, I think I can move on for the money I'm putting down. I want a versatile table, something that's capable of changing as my tastes change until I'm ready to drop another 5 or 10k. I would like it to complement the equipment I already have, because they're not changing anytime soon, and is the reason why i bothered to describe them. Used, new? No, it doesn't matter.
Two arms isn't a necessity, just a nicety, but thanks for the Transrotor suggestion, Manitunc--I'll look into it. I've found a couple of others in the Solid Machine Small and The Acoustic Signature; both, I believe are made by the same German manufacturer. Although both close in on my 5k budget, leaving not much for an arm, I can live without an arm for now--I have other tables-- and I'd rather have the solid foundation for a better arm some where down the near future road.

Gotta ask: is piece by piece a crazy method of acquiring a quality table? I mean, this table may sit a box for six months or more before I'm capable of purchasing a high quality arm to complement it. Anyone have a better method?
If is the position I'm in at the moment. Luckily I have time and patience on my side, so I'll drive to Miami--not a bad thing whatever the end result--and have a listen to several turntables this week.
Thanks, Manitunc, for the invitation, but I think that day's going to be a little too crowded for a visit. But i've read quite a bit on the Fat Bob and Transrotor; I'm really impressed by both.
I have no objection to a vintage turntable, but, unlike new units, they are hard to audition unless you have a friend or a friend-of-a-friend with that particular unit. Even new tables are difficult to audition; hence, my driving two hundred miles to do just that.

@Sonofjim: since you've been down this path recently, was there a "thing" about the Technics which made it a comparable if not a better choice? Or was it more cost verses benefit?