What are OA2 tubes and why are there more gear

using them?

I have a First Sound Presence Deluxe preamplifier which I bought used. This preamp as well as the JOULE ELECTRA use the OA2 tubes. What sort of tubes are these? When where they made and why are they not more prevalent in other preamp except in a handful of them such as the JOULE and the LAMMs, as well as the First Sound gear? What particular sound do these produce that make them appealing or unappealing for designers to incorporate them in their designs? Is there a designation that is different than the 0A2 that I am not aware off?
bemopti123

Showing 1 response by gs5556

The OA2's are used in voltage regulators. One setup is to offer a 150-volt anchor to the cathode of the regulating tube. Another, it's used as a straight regulator. Usually the regulator itself is a dual-triode and each cathode of the regulator has an OA2 attached (one per channel). Your amp definitely needs an OA2 to work, especially if it's a shunt-type regulator, because removing it disconnects the high voltage mains.

The reason they're not popular is because tubed voltage regulation is not. It's much easier, and more accurate, to do with solid state than tubes, if it's even done at all. One problem with the OA2 is that it does not present a pure resistance to the regulator - instead its resistance varies with frequency making it slightly more complex to wire up as a stabilizer. Also, I read in some tube data sheet that some OA2's have radioactive stuff inside them to make them heat up evenly (is this from where the cool glow arises?). If that's true, I would not want to be around one of these should they break.