What are best hi efficiency speakers under $1000?

I'm moving soon and will need to change my setup a bit. I'm using a Luminescence preamp with a vintage Luxman tube amp. I listen to a lot of records and I love the sound of this system. For about 17 years, I've listened to this system with a pair of 46 year old Bozak "Urban" speakers. They've got a great big sound, but they are big physically too (24" x 24" x 20"). I need to get a bit smaller, at least in width. I need to find something that is efficient due to my rig, and can still deliver a big sound (10" or 12" woofer would be good here). I'm okay with buying used also - preferrably under $1,000. I've considered Klipsch Heresys, but I've never heard these. Any suggestions on decent speakers that conform to this profile? thanks for any help in this regard...
jimsharpe

Showing 1 response by begreen

I had the Heresys back in the 80s. They are ok, but when I got the Kef 103.3s, the Heresys whimpered out of the room. The Heresy sound stage, transient response and high end can all be improved upon.

That was many years ago. Now I am trying out a set of Energy RC speakers. They are not as efficient as the KLF-20s suggested, but aren't too shabby at 94 db. So far they are sounding pretty good. You might want to look into a pair of RC50's or RC-30s with a sub.