you'll need strong ss amp. i'm very pleased with performance of Wyred4Sound amps. STI-500 is a good budget match.
21 responses Add your response
My audio room is not big. It's 500cm * 600 cm. And I searched out several amplifiers. (Power amp considered before pre)
1. Mcintosh MC2301 mono pair
2. Audio Research VT200mkii
3. Krell 400cx
4. Mcintosh MC240 (I owned for my Bookself, Totem Mani2 Signature)
Those are what I can get easily around me.
1. Audio Research SP-8 (USD2,500)
2. BAT VK-52SE (?)
3. BAT VK-51SE (USD3,800)
4. BAT VK-31SE (USD3,000)
5. Audio Research Reference 3 (USD6,200)
6. Audio Research LS26 (USD3,300)
7. Krell KCT (?)
8. Chord CPA 5000 (?)
9. Chord CPA 3200 (USD4,800)
10. Accuphase A-20V (USD2,100)
11. Mark levinson 380L (?)
12. Simaudio P-7 (USD4,000)
13. Burmester 808mk3 (USD9,000)
1. Mark levison 26s (USD4,600)
2. Mark levison 532 (USD14,000)
3. Krell 400cx (USD5,400)
4. Passlabs x 150.5 (USD2,500)
5. Passlabs x 250.5 (USD3,900)
6. Passlabs x 350 (USD3,900)
7. Audio Research VT200mk2 (USD3,500)
8. Mcintosh MC2301 mono blocks (USD9,000)
Those are what I get easily and quickly near my house.
Could you choose a combination for temptations?
I don't know much about the 400cx but I had the 350mcx for a few years then upgraded to 450mcx. I can tell you from experience that the 450 MCX is a much better amp than the 350 MCX. The power is difference is suppose to be only a 100 watts but the 450 sound so much better - deeper bass and fuller mid range. The 350 in comparison sounds lean. The 450 is about 30 pounds heavier and operates much hotter. Based on the heat, I would guess the 450 is biased more into class.
The 450 also works well with Audio Research preamp. I used it with an ARC REF 5SE and it sounded very nice. You get the low end of Krell and the vocal and smoothness of tube as well.
If you find a pair of 450 MCX, I would highly recommend them over the 350.