What amp to match with Spatial Audio M3 Sapphire open back speakers

Fellow audiogoners,
If all goes well, I will shortly be the proud owner of a lightly used pair of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphire open back speakers.
The trouble is that in making this acquisition, I will have expanded most of my intended "hobbies" budget,yet still need to purchase an amplifier that will make the speakers sing.
The rest of my modest setup consists of: Bluesound Node 2i streamer, SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC, ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit TT.
The listening room is our living/dining room (400 sqft), and our music ranges from classical to world, with a good dose of classic rock and jazz of all types. We also like to turn things up from time to time...to dance!
Sound characteristics I appreciate the most are: musicality, definition but not too clinical, wide and open sound stage, tight impactful bass, and most realistic vocals. 

I am thus calling on all Spatial Audio M3 owners and others to request your advice/guidance in helping me select an integrated amplifier at a budget of around $2500.
Thanks very much for your input and experiences, have a nice weekend and please stay safe!jlr261
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjlr261

Showing 14 responses by jlr261

Hello twoleftears,
Thanks very much, Audio Circle does have an extensive thread dealing specifically with Spatial Audio gear. I should be able to find all the information I need there.Regards, have a great weekend and do stay safe!!jlr261
Hi aj523,
Thanks, I did note that LTA is frequently paired with Spatial Audio speakers very favorably...

Unfortunately, I've pretty much blown the largest part of my current budget on the M3S themselves, and thus need to start with something more affordable.
Of course, I'll always keep an eye out for an eventual deal on a good condition used LTA, but isn't it also an important part of this hobby to try various options as well?

As I follow the various discussions concerning proper amplification for the M3s, it appears to me that there are quite a few different amps being used by satisfied owners out there.
So I'll proceed slowly and strive to keep an open mind, especially if I can benefit from decent at-home trials periods from selected manufacturers/dealers.
Thanks again for your input and do have a great weekend! Stay safe!!
Hi rickallen81,Thanks for the offer but I'm afraid my budget will nevertheless still be some ways under what you'd expect for the Z10.
As I wrote somewhere at the beginning of this post, I'm limited to a $2.5k amp budget for the moment...
But hey, maybe if we give it a little time, we could perhaps work something out? 

Thanks very much and do take care! pm me if you wish to discuss this further. I gotta go now, but will tune back in in a few hours...
Hi devilboy,Thanks for chiming in, I've read quite a few glowing reviews of the various HEGEL offerings over the past year, touting particularly how they are adept at driving very different types of speakers, bringing out the best of each ones' sound signature...So, thanks for your input...
I also now realize that really I need to try out as many amplifiers as possible as the Spatial Audio M3s seem to thrive under many different circumstances.
The plot thickens and the adventure continues...
Hello Phillyb,
You are absolutely right!
As evidenced by the very large selection of amplifiers recommended by fellow goners, these speakers will apparently thrive with a variety of quite different amps.
Clearly, as you rightly point out, the best strategy will be to wait until I have them at home and then try as many amps as reasonably possible in my specific circumstances, as well as perhaps listening to existing setups if I can find any around me, and... COVID-19 permitting...
In any case,  I have yet to secure the speakers as the owner now hesitates to sell them, but am nevertheless pursuing my education and really do appreciate your input and advice. THANK YOU!
Dear All,
Unfortunately, my intended the acquisition of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires fell through as the seller ended up accepting a higher offer for his speakers.
So I'm back to the drawing board and somewhat disappointed as I was really excited at the prospect of owning a pair these dream speakers.
I'll be starting the quest from scratch but wanted to thank all of you for your very useful input and advice. If anything, I have learned more about this wonderful hobby of ours.

Best regards to all and happy listening! jlr261
Dear atmasphere,
Thank you very much for the clear and detailed explanation of the different harmonic distortion types.

I have definitely learned quite a bit today and shall integrate this information as I go about trying out and selecting components for my new setup.

Dear Yakbob and tms0425,
Thanks very much for your useful input, I will certainly look into your suggestions, and I really like their being below intended budget as well...

Yakbob, may I ask why you only kept your M3 Turbos for a year? Can you share a little more about your setup and circumstances? Thanks

Tms0425, I've read good things about Maraschino and shall look into it, thanks! I'd love to learn about your setup as well.

Has either of you any experience or knowledge about Black Ice Audio F11/22/35 integrated tube amps? This is apparently the new name for JOLIDA... and their Fusion 360 preamp is getting great reviews. 

Thanks again and have a great weekend!!
Thanks Yakbob,
I trust you are enjoying your Tannoys. Haven't had the privilege of listening to any as of yet, but their reputation for being top notch products precedes them.Take care!
Thanks for your feedback bassdude and jackd,
As I wrote earlier, the LTA is out of my reach for the moment, but I'm keeping it on my list for an eventual future upgrade, especially if they offer a decent in-home trial period.
Also taking note of the Kinki EX-M1, it is in my current price range and deserves further examination. Hope they offer in-home trial. jackd, what do you use now with your M3TM's? or have you parted with them? If so, please tell me why and did you keep the amp?Thanks again to the both of you!

Hello everyone,
First of all, thanks again for all the responses I've received thus far, they are most helpful.
I'm writing again tonight in order to point out an important characteristic that I completely forgot to mention in my description of the integrated amplifier I am seeking to drive Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires that I'm hoping to acquire soon.
Indeed, I forgot to mention that my music collection, mostly digital in form, with a number of CDs and a couple hundred older vinyls, is not of the greatest quality.

So I need to stay away from amps that are picky and will highlight lesser recordings to the point of making them very hard to listen to. In short, I need a high quality yet forgiving amplifier.
Thanks very much and have a great week! Stay safe.

Dear atmasphere and twoleftears,
Thanks very much for your suggestions, even if the high and low order harmonics part kinda went over my head...
It appears that my options are many and I really need to audition as much as possible.
Thanks again and do stay safe!
Hello again atmasphere and phillyb,
I was surprised to see additional contributions to this thread I created when I almost scored a mint pair of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires...
As I wrote in my very last post, the sale unfortunately fell through as the seller apparently received a better offer for his speakers. Too bad for me!
In any case, regardless of whether I own these speakers or not, I'm getting a real education here, and really do appreciate your respective contributions.
Obviously, learning is a process, and I sometimes get a little confused when sorting through conflicting information. But hey, no worries, I am well aware and cognizant enough not to take everything I read here as gospel.

The proof will always be MY ears...
So the search continues, and as we prepare to finally relocate to the US this summer, I am anxious to start all over again from scratch, and will definitely be seeking fellow goners' input as I navigate through the possibilities.

Thanks again and please stay safe!
Hello Ronsbass and Tweak1! 

Thanks very much for your input, while the intended acquisition of a mint pair of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires fell through, I must say that exchanging with much more experienced audiophiles such as yourselves has been a real pleasure and learning experience for me.

I have decided to wait until we are fully relocated in the Washington D.C area to resume my quest for a new audio setup, at which time, I'll take the time to listen to as many different components and combinations as possible. 

The only thing I've set at this point is the overall budget, which I've determined to be 10k, for speakers, an integrated amplifier, a good DAC, and appropriate accessories (cables, room acoustics, etc.).

I will mostly stream from a Node 2i I still have and that is just so convenient to use, as well as my ProJect Debut Carbon Expression turntable.

Once again, thanks very much for all the very useful information, I'll be sure to let you guys know how things evolve from here on!

Have a great family Memorial Day!!