What amp is best with Wilson Sasha DAW speakers

Just received my new Wilson Sasha DAW speakers and am now beginning to sift through a long list of electronics that would bring out the best in them. If anyone owns these and could give some recommendations I love to hear them. I’m open to tube or solid state. Looking for amps and preamp. All opinions are appreciated.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcarey1110

Showing 18 responses by carey1110

I agree its very popular comb..  Ever heard of Spectral being paired with Wilson
Sounds like a lot of wisdom and insight her,   I never really thought much about how companies pick other manufacturers to demo there gear with.   I’m sure the combos must sound good but not necessarily the best.  
I’m looking for a warm inviting very musical sound. Something I can play all day without ear fatigue but still very detailed. Realism. 
I certainly understand the need for accuracy in a system however it’s not my priority. Maybe the word warm is not the best description. I guess what I mean is organic or real.   Just as sound engineers brings the recording into a mix they feel is right and enjoyable so it is that we  design our systems in such a way that draws us in. One that is involving and makes us want to listen.  That can be different for each of us. What I have found over the years is that there are many system that can sound completely different from each other but still draw you in and captivate you in different ways.  I heard both tubes and solid state do this well but in different ways. This is why I ask for opinions because many of you achieve this in different ways, ways that I have not yet experienced. That why I love this hobby there are endless possibilities.
So if you are choosing between VTL 7.5 s3, ARC ref 10, or Spectral 30SV as the preamp with one would you shoes for the Wilson DAWs.  Right now I have a Krell FPB 300c which will be replaced too but preamp first. I have cable systems from Cardas, Transparent and MIT. 
I’m also considering the Ayre and the CJ Gat. With vocals I assume the CJ would be better. I’m starting to steer away from the Spectral because it seems very difficult to get right and not many people are recommending it.   I’ve heard from many that I should consider tubes in the preamp at least. I just want it to be very natural organic and neutral.  I may be able to pick up a Pass amp 250.8 to demo in a couple weeks. That might be interesting. 
So if you are choosing between VTL 7.5 s3, ARC ref 10, or Spectral 30SV as the preamp which one would you choose for the Wilson DAWs.  Right now I have a Krell FPB 300c which will be replaced too but preamp first. I have cable systems from Cardas, Transparent and MIT. Sorry about the autocorrect in previous post. 
The reason for the sudden interest in a preamp  is that my Spectral DMC 20 s2 preamp’s phono stage just stopped working so I had to send it in for repair. So right now I’m without anything. I know I really need to focus on the amp matching the speakers first but I have a Krell 300c which I’m not fond of but it does work. It’s just raggedy in the highs, a little bright. However that was with the spectral preamp too so that may something to do with it. I know tubes aren’t neutral but they have a natural organic sound that can fool me pretty good since I’m not at the recording session. I know you understand what I’m trying to say. BTW I had the Model # wrong on the Pass it is the 260.8. 
Thank you for you input on the three preamps. Everyone’s input is very important to me. Even tho I’m aware I cant make a choice just solely based on what others say it does help to hear everyone’s personal preference. Which amps and preamps you all prefer and your reasons why helps me to choose a direction to pursue. The Wilson Sasha DAW is a very transparent speaker. I’ve heard it sound lush full and warm and also lean bright and cold depending on what electronics are used. Therefore any experience with different electronics on this speaker will help me. All you comments and advice are greatly appreciated. 
Do you think tubes would be better than solid state since this is such a revealing speaker?
Lol!! I love the part about never owning the tube amp. I guess you’re never done paying for it,  with the future need for tube replacement. Thanks fo your input and with try to locate a Luxman dealer near me. 
Thanks for the advice on other speakers but I’m focusing on the Wilson DAW right now. I still have a pair of electrostatic speakers and am fully aware of their strengths and weaknesses. I have been through all kinds of electrostatics and do appreciate what they can do. I’ve owned Quads, ML CLS, Prodigy and even the big Sound Lab Ultimates. While they do some pretty cool stuff they are huge and require a lot of room. Even with all that done right I still feel the Wilson Sasha DAWs Have distinct advantages over them  in many areas. IMO The DAWs even rival the best electrostatics in Transparency, imaging, tonal balance and sheer weight of the instruments when compared to live music. To me the Wilsons Sasha DAWs are just very pleasant to listen too and draw me in. 
The Wilson Sasha DAW is a great speaker and nothing like it predecessor the Sasha 2.  I compared the two in a side by side AB comparison. I first went to the dealer to buy the Sasha 2 but after hearing the DAWs I was blown away at how much more real and organic they sounded. I bought the DAWs instead,  night and day difference.   The sense of presence and the soundstage was much better on the Sasha DAW.  This was not an extravagant system either. VTL 5.5 S2 and a pair of Pass mono blocs. The impedance on the DAW is much easier on the amp than their past models.  It’s is a revealing speaker but not in the sense of brightness just a very clear window into what upstream. I’m sure the ARC ref 160s would sound great I’m just not sure yet if I want to deal with a full tube amp.  However once I hear it I might want to. Any DAW owners out there been through the selection process and compared. 
Gpgr4blu:  are you using a full ARC system?  Which preamp are you running with the ref 160 with and cables too if you don’t mind. 
Jazzbass what kind of power are we talking about with the CAT amps. Are you getting ample bass.  Good depth etc.  I always thought you’d have Solid-State for the Wilsons.