What amp for McIntosh LS260 speakers

My buddy is not an audiophile. He is a car guy, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. He asked me to recommend an amp for his McIntosh LS-360 speakers, and man those suckers are big, 87 db, 2x10s, 1x8 and 5 tweeters. 50" tall. Don't know what he is using for a CDP but he has a carver C-19 preamp. All he knows is he wants 300-500 wpc. I am thinking the Adcom 5802 since used they are a steal used. Then Aragon mono blocks, and maybe a digital amp. I went through the usual list of SS amps form Belles, CJ, Krell (KAV series), Bel Canto, Spectron, the big Rotel, B&K, etc. So you can see that I need some assistance since I have no idea about the Mac speakers. He wanted to spend up to $2K on an amp but I think that is a waste of time with his preamp and probably a multi disc CDP. Yes he can actually buy anything he wants but I do not want to go there. I was thinking of getting him something that will last for a while. He most likely just wants to juice them up and play rock and roll and impress his friends by how loud they will play.

Thanks in advance.
bigkidz

Showing 1 response by bigjoe

stay away from adcom amps with mac speakers,the adcoms will not bring out the best in them,dont get me wrong adcom makes some fine amps & i own a pair of adcom monoblocks i really like but they are a very bright sounding amp & they wont compliment the ls360's.

if your friend is willing to up the ante about a grand he could score a mcintosh mc500,ive owned a ton of mac & still do & one thing i know for sure is that mac sounds best with other mac gear.

if it was me & i couldnt afford the mc500 then i would go after a krell ksa150 or higher,ive owned three krell amps & all worked excellent with mac speakers,i feel that all the other amps you mentioned will not do them justice.

mike