What amp are you using with your Gallo 3.1's?

I bought a pair of Gallo 3.1's in September. I am currently using a Response Audio Platinum modified Jolida 502b with KT88/98 tubes, 60 watts per channel. Input tubes are vintage Tungsol and Valvo. I am, for the most part (audionervosa) satisfied with the sound. Timing, rythm, and pace is good, the sound is happy, toe tapping fun. Very musical. I had a Mcintosh 6900 for a cpl of months 200 watts with autoformers. I was dissapointed that there seemed to be no synergy with these two components. The sound was rolled off, flat, and lifeless in my system, in my house. YMMV

I am just curious what other Gallo owners have tried, what worked well, what didn't, and what you are using now.
leatherneck1812

Showing 7 responses by leatherneck1812

Thanks for the info Dave. I am a carpenter/cabinet maker and I am going to make better stands anyway so the speakers aren't so easy to tip. I will copy Mapleshade and buy their footers.
Russ
Thanks for the input guys.

Goatwuss,

I too was surprised that the Mac wasn't a good match with the Gallo's. As far as high current amps are concerned, at low volumes does it have much impact on the music? I don't have any idea but it seems like it would only become appearant as you turned up the volume and started to tap into the power reserves.

I am anxious to hear what you think of the Wyred 4 sound amps. I have been thinking about trying one myself.
Dopogue,

Do you have the option to use either 4 or 8 ohm taps on that unit? and if so which do you use?
I have now been using a Wyred 4 Sound ST1000 and a Cary slp98 preamp with my Gallos for almost 2 months. I feel I can comment on this combination now having let everything settle in for a while.

This is probably as neutral and detailed as my system has ever been while not becoming sterile, boring, or harsh in the process. There is excellent balance throughout the musical spectrum. Prodigious bass, excellent midrange and the sweetest highs without a hint of glare or fatigue. The touch of sunkist sweetness is thanks to a pair of RCA Red Base Military 5692 tubes in the Cary. These tubes took this system from very, very, good to just wonderful.

Soundstage is very balanced with pinpoint imaging of instruments and vocals. Soft music passages are relaxed and richly detailed, when the pace picks up the explosiveness and incredible speed can be startling!

MAPMAN You were correct that the high current would be most noticable at low volumes! I have never enjoyed music played at such low volume. All of the detail, prat and balanced musicality is right there even at very low volumes.

This is a very satisfying and incredibly musical system. Just a joy to listen to!

I have a Clayton S40 Class A 50 watt amp coming in a week to compare to the Wyred 4 Sound. I will post the results in a couple of weeks.
Dopogue,

What do you mean "contoured brass washers" I get that they seperate the bases from the speakers by the thickness of the washer, but they are they something other than flat brass washers?

Thanks,
Russ
Clayton S40 50wpc amp

You can read what I said about the Wyred 4 Sound ST1000 540 wpc amp I have had for the last 4 months with my Gallos, it is in all respects a great amp, and sounds great with the Gallos.

I am sitting in my living room listening to the Clayton S40 50 wpc Class A stereo amp that arrived last week.

Compared directly to the Wyred 4 Sound the Clayton is better at resolving the inner details, the leading edge of the piano, the sound of the fingers on the guitar are much more organic. I have a 1925 Steinway piano just about 15 feet from my listening position. Both amps on piano sound wonderful, the Clayton goes beyond the Wyred 4 Sound in that it not only gets the tone right, it does a better job on the texture, the intent of the musician. The intensity or subtlety of the individuals are more richly portrayed.
There is also better soundtage width and depth by an appreciable margin with the Clayton. The Wyred 4 Sound has more bass punch, but I don't miss it with the Clayton which by comparison seems more balanced. Brass and wind instruments sound similar in tone, both very brassy or woody as required, but the space the Clayton gives to each instrument and singer is superior in creating space and prescence making the percieved image more realistic.

The Clayton S40 50 watt class A amp is a superb match for the Gallos. It is fast, clean, rich, and organic. When the music is soft it is sublime and intimate, so rich with texture, nuance, and detail. With rock and big band the stage is huge and the pace and sense of space is incredible. I have plenty of power for even the loudest (Stevie Ray and Joe Bonamasa) rock cranked up to concert levels.

I am, for now, a very happy camper!