What amp $1000 for Rockport Tech Mira Mon?

I have bought (shipping is pending) a pair of Rockport Technologies Mira Monitor speakers (here on Audiogon).

I am looking at choices in an amplifier. Sensitivity on these is 85 dB. But I will not be driving them loud anyway, so don't be afraid to recommend a 30 watt tube.

I know everyone will say that I just need to listen. Right. I know that. But my local audio shop (about the only in town) doesn't carry any amps with less than 5 channels. Whatever I get will be ordered and auditioned, and then sold if not liked.

I kinda broke the bank on these speakers, so I'd like to stay under $1500, preferably under $1000 for this amp. I have at home in other systems a tiny NAD power amp (I think it's 20wpc), and a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I will take a listen with those when I get the speakers, just because I won't be able to wait.

I have a passable Nikko Pre-Amp right now. My eventual plan for this system is a nice pre-amp with digital inputs and a good DAC.
sivert

Showing 2 responses by kurt_tank

Well, you have a really refined speaker, (I love Rockport Speakers!), so you really should spend more money on a fairly high powered, but really, really good amp.

But, since you are willing to give up some power, you might want to try a Class "A" SET amp from Pass Labs. There is a 60 wpc one for sale on Audiogon for $1,200.
(And no, I have no affiliation with the seller.)
Note, the seller says that the bass response is a bit soft, but given that you're only using monitors, that might not affect your sound, as your monitors are rolled off anyway.

Aleph 5 Amp for Sale

If you're really broke, you could try one of Pass's first designs, A Threshold S/200, which has 100 wpc, (which power wise is a better match, but it is not as good as the Aelph. There is one for sale here on Audiogon too.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1269058747&/Threshold-S/200-Nelson-Pass-St

My two cents worth.
I'm just curious: What specifically did he recommmend?

(And what power range did he recommend too?)