What affects timing in a system?

I got a new pair of speaker stands for my MG3.6 and was surprised with the result. When I first put them in, the bass was so much better, but the rest of the fine balance was way off. I had to adjust speaker placement to fix soundstage and high frequency response. Replace isolation products from...etc. Now I feel that I have all the parts the way they should be timbre, dynamics, detail without fatigue etc.

The problem is every thing sounds slower and just off in timing. My girlfriend who has better ears than me says the music has "lost it's rhythm". HOW CAN THIS BE? I didin't add any electronics that would change phase response or electrical transmission. I don't know what to check/change/tweak? Any advice, experience, or guesses?
delancey

Showing 1 response by tony007

Speaker placement should be exact with respect to left/right front/back and toe in. Also the maggies should be checked for the plumbness of the panels with respect to each other. If the speakers are off by even the slightest tiny bit it causes different phase problems at the listening positioning and results in poor subjective system timing. I hear this to be true especially in less than perfectly symetrical rooms. Over here I can intentionally alter one speaker's placement with regard to the other "microscopically" and seriously affect the rythymic involvement. When all is right and you reach that "room lock" the music will be very quick to you. Keep trying and don't give up. It does take a while and it is a real pain in the ass.