What about the Belles SA-100?

This is what I read on a UK website on the Belles SA-100 amplifier:
'SA-100 represents one of the most musical and involving amplifiers available on the market today at virtually any cost. The musical cohesion and captivation this amplifier generates is quite astonishing whilst giving you all the detail and nuances that complete the music.'
It also says somewhere it was inspired by the DarTZeel NHB-108 power amplifier.

I must admit this amp is pretty good, and so I am wondering why, in contrast to the SA-30 or 350A, there aren't any user reviews of this amplifier available. Are there any users of the SA-100 on this forum?
noortje

Showing 7 responses by noortje

I agree with both of you. These are excellent products. Still, it wonders me why, at least on this forum, one sees users of the almost similar priced 350A but never of the SA-100.
Your dealer is right, the upper models will leave you speechless. I have a Belles SA-100 which is in a different class. I am serious. That is also why I was wondering in the first place that this amp is not more popular among audiophiles. Anyone in need of a serious upgrade should audition this one.
I guess you are right that marketing may play a role here; unknown, unloved. When I was looking for a new amp my dealer suggested to audition the Belles SA-30, even while my speakers have a difficult load. I decided for the SA-100 as that was the one available for a demo while I was visiting him. I instantly loved it, though it took quite a while to run in the amp. And I still have the feeling that it is getting better every day. So similar to your experiences with the SA-30, this is phenomenally good amplifier, second to none. It is a true gem.
Not sure about the politics, but perhaps these amps are too cheap...?
It is interesting what you are saying. Earlier I have had JR monoblocks, but as good as these were, they could not even stand in the shadow of the Belles. The SA-100 is such an open window for every kind of music. But also needs a proper match and time to open up to reach its peak. If you have the opportunity to audition one, then you should.
It is interesting what you are saying. Earlier I have had JR monoblocks, but as good as these were, they could not even stand in the shadow of the Belles. The SA-100 is such an open window for every kind of music. But also needs a proper match and time to open up to reach its peak. If you have the opportunity to audition one, then you should.
Phusis, with 91 dB my speakers are a little less responsive than yours. Sound wise I was quite happy with the 2 x 40 W solid state I had, which nevertheless had some difficulties to drive my speakers, in particular in the bass area. That was the main reason why I went for something else. I hadn't heard of Belles, but my dealer, whom I also know for a long time, said that considering my tastes I should go for the SA-30. But a Belles distributor and a few other people convinced me that my speakers would be happy with some more power. They were right.
Of course the Belles SA-100 is serious money, but compared to the competition in this price range, nevertheless great value. Getting a great wine for 10 dollars usually makes more fun than getting a similar one for 100 dollars. That is how I feel about it.
I agree the quality of watts also matters. However I have read somewhere that the 8ohms power figures for the SA-100 are close to 258Wrms. I am using Audio Physic Calderas. At first I was not too impressed with this amp, as compared to my previous one it sounded dark and less detailed than I was used to (and was expecting). I got in touch about this with Mr. Belles and the distributor, they both were surprised somewhat and confirmed the long break-in time. They were right of course, great soundstage, deep bass, detailed, and the match with my speakers is excellent now. And it is still getting better every day. I listen to different kinds of music, including rock music, small combo jazz and classical chamber music. The Belles SA-100 is perfect for all of this.