What 6922 tube will improve bass definition?

I have a Valve Audio Predator hybrid with stock Sovtek tubes. I want to improve the bass definition and grip. The Predator is driving Focus Audio FS8's. Both the Predator and FS8 are neutral but a touch dry, so a little midrange liquidity would be a nice added bonus. I don't want to spend $150+ per tube. Is there a modest priced tube under $100 that will meet these requirements? All suggestions are appreciated.
dayglow

Showing 1 response by bigshutterbug

The early to mid 1960's Amperex USA White label 6922 is the one to get for the money. Great, defined, strong bass, neutral mids and beautiful highs. The good, older Mullards from the late 50's through the 60's are smooth and sweet, but more lush than the Amperex I mentioned. The bass with the Mullards is full and rich, but not as fast. The Amperex 7308 US white labels (1960's) are also nice, but a tad drier sounding than the 6922 versions and more expensive. Telefunken 6922's are fantastic in the areas of imaging, detail and clarity, but do not have as much "body" to the mids and bass, and are BIG money.