Were to go after a Rega Planet 2000?

Hello,

I have a planet 2000 and enjoy its sound. I like its tone, PRAT, timber etc... but I want more of it. I find that the Rega lacks authority when playing. It still sounds like a CD player (and a CD player at that) but not live music. I want something that has the good qualities of the Rega, but just expands on them. I want a player to take control and give me music which leaves little to none to complain about.

I really like my friends Wadia, but I simply can't afford one.
I love the way it portrays the music.

My budget is $750-$1000 plus what ever I can sell me Rega for.

I have been suggested the Sony DVP-9000es. From what I have read it is reasonably priced and sounds good. But it's a Sony, and I am unsure about it.

I will consider everything, my only request is no tubes. I think they are better served in the preamp. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Nick
nickway

Showing 1 response by superhonestben

here is one for you that hasn't come up....Mcintosh 205...audiophiles tend to look theother way when it comes to Mac...too bad its great stuff...I own a fair amount of Mac including this little gem...I also own a Linn Ikemi which I like alot but son of a gun if the Mac isnt right up there with it...I have heard Wadiia, ML 390s and even the Linn cd 12 all in my house...for dollars to donuts the Mac is a value