Were any of you taping concerts circa 1972-88?

I would love to connect with anyone else who was taping on cassette or reel to reel in the era using good gear. I am mostly nterested in rock (I suppose "classic rock") artists. Not so much the Dead or jam bands.

Because the gear was expensive, a lot of early tapers were hi-fi enthusiasts so I figure there could be some lurking here.

BK for JEMS
butterking

Showing 2 responses by stereo5

Back then I was working in a stereo store and I bought a top of the line Sony portable cassette recorder with Dolby B noise reduction. It had a built in stereo mike. I remember taking it to many Jethro Tull concerts, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Who to name a few. I recorded "Dark Side Of The Moon" at The Music Hall in Boston. I don't think the album was even out yet!

The quality wasn't bad for the day and I had a decent stereo, It was a Kenwood 80wpc integrated amp, Kenwood tuner, Rectilinear III speakers, Teac Cassette deck and an Empire 598 (Troubadour) turntable with a Shure V15 cartridge. I bought an SAE equalizer and was able to fill out the frequency's on the recording that were rather thin.

Stupidly, I got out of the hobby in the early 80's and got into salt water fish instead. I got back into audio in 1987 and haven't looked back. How I wish I kept all those recordings that were on cassette tapes. I wish I had kept that system, It really made great sounds and would probably be worth a few bucks today.
I gave away all the tapes when I sold the Teac deck. If I remember, the guy was going to use a bulk eraser and record over them. I had a Sony DAT recorder in the early 90's and made maybe 20 tapes with it. I didn't use it for over 15 years, and when I powered it up to sell on Audiogon, it didn't work. It went to the recycle plant and the tapes were all frozen as well!!! They went into the trash.