Well maybe it IS my hearing

Hi everyone,
Lately I've gotten into some lively debates. One thing which I'm afraid we don't take into account enough is our own personal hearing. Truth is there's now way I can hear like I did when I was 20 something. So, quite likely I hear very differently than other A'goners. Just because I personally can't hear a difference in a power cable / tweak doesn't mean you don't. I don't make that claim. 

However I think it is also unfair to accuse me of having an agenda if I can't.

Lastly, if I can't hear a difference, the financial value I place on a more expensive tweak = zero. That's just the way my wallet operates. I'm not buying to impress others. My stereo is not my Mistress whom I must serve with more and more expensive shoes.  I just made her a very pretty red and carbon fiber and aluminum power and she's going to have to be happy with that.

I do take exception to over broad, fact less claims of performance however, or people working very hard to explain to me how wrong a person I must be if I can't hear a difference.

I think this is good for you as well. Buy what your ears tell you have value, and don't be swayed by crowds.

Best,
E
erik_squires

Showing 1 response by eisen0169

One overlooked area of hearing is....wait for it....ear wax!  If you don't irrigate your ears regularly - and properly - you'll be amazed at the sound after you do.  There's only one way to do it properly, the way physicians recommend, with some was Debrox wax softening drops and an Elephant Ear Washer (google it).  Follow the directions for the drops, then irrigate in the shower with warm water.  If you've got any wax, you'll be amazed at how big a "plug" of wax can get.  You'll be turning down the volume settings on your equipment.  As for affecting music quality, the ear is a sensitive instrument.  The difference in removing a wax buildup or plug is like lifting a veil, similar to what happens when you use foam port plugs on a speaker.